same band- different incarnations??

windy1

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think das made the best point here...

Well, of course Das made a reasonable point, as you would expect. He's a very reasonable man. But "the best point here"?? I'm not sure I'd go that far.

I haven't had the benefit of seeing Mr Almonds' other 80 posts, so have not been aware of a tendency towards negative, patronising disparagement of the views of others. Tut tut. Whatever are things coming to?

Naturally, the rubbishing of other people's opinions and sensitivities should ideally be undertaken with wit and insight.

Edited by Guest
changed one word for a better one

Well, of course Das made a reasonable point, as you would expect. He's a very reasonable man. But "the best point here"?? I'm not sure I'd go that far.

I haven't had the benefit of seeing Mr Almonds' other 80 posts, so have not been aware of a tendency towards negative, patronising disparagement of the views of others. Tut tut. Whatever are things coming to?

Naturally, the rubbishing of other people's opinions and sensitivities should ideally be addressed with wit and insight.

I think they mean, specifically, when I initially dis-agreed with other members in a non-music topic, which, again, I don't do merely for its own sake - as if I write things haphazardly and without thought. Dis-agreeing with others is not tantamount to "being negative" or "being antagonistic." This is why there are different words to describe the situations. To my recollection, I have not even made any rash assessments of other member's characters/personalities just because they hold a different view from myself on seemingly-trite things such as what music we like and don't like... except for this topic, where I used the phrase "very sensitive" in response to FarinU (who quoted me using only "bitter" and deleting "almonds").

Then again, I can't recall what happened yesterday.

Dis-agreeing with others is not tantamount to "being negative" or "being antagonistic."

I'm right with you.

I have not even made any rash assessments of other member's characters/personalities... ... except for this topic, where I used the phrase "very sensitive" in response to FarinU

Well, this is a bit of a grey area. I once teasingly suggested that someone might be "over-sensitive", when they claimed (in jest, I thought)that whenever they heard The Smiths they felt like bursting into tears. Imagine my surprise :o when I was thrown down the stairs and given a good kicking by the bouncers. Talk about an over-reaction.

Edited by Guest

Last one for the money, last one for the road. Don't step on my blue, suede shoes.

Enigma's "Sadeness":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6khsFHUNqA

Loreena McKennitt's "Mummer's Dance":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjm0AeeaGro

I would've said Delerium's "Silence", featuring Sarah McLachlan, but 1) I don't like her music and 2) there is no video readily available of a proper version of the song.

You were asked very politely not to call "crap" things you dislike. Just say you don´t like it.

By the way, how can you compare Miguel Bose to David Bowie????? I won´t say he´s crap (Bose) cause we´re on a polite board and we are polite people... I just find him the less interesting guy in many ways... He would be happy to read your post...

Alright, I'll try to refain from using superlatives in the future... ;)

Naturally, the rubbishing of other people's opinions and sensitivities should ideally be addressed with wit and insight.

problem is, in most cases I have neither... if I'm lucky I have at least the second... :crazy: :doh:

so I guess I have to leave that for far more wittier people, like ... uhmmm ... I dunno ... you! :grin:

I think they mean, specifically, when I initially dis-agreed with other members in a non-music topic, which, again, I don't do merely for its own sake - as if I write things haphazardly and without thought. Dis-agreeing with others is not tantamount to "being negative" or "being antagonistic." This is why there are different words to describe the situations. To my recollection, I have not even made any rash assessments of other member's characters/personalities just because they hold a different view from myself on seemingly-trite things such as what music we like and don't like... except for this topic, where I used the phrase "very sensitive" in response to FarinU (who quoted me using only "bitter" and deleting "almonds").

Then again, I can't recall what happened yesterday.

just a small technicality: I quoted you and only wrote "bitter" omitting the "almonds" (as opposed to actually deleting it), because first (and most important) everybody will still recognise from which poster I quoted and secondly it seemed to fit at that time, but that's just me... ;)

As I've said above it doesn't bother me that you (or anyone else) has a different taste of music, and of course It doesn't bother me that you speak, explain or try to defend your opinion, it doesn't bother me either that you called me "very sensitive", I've been called alot worse (but curiously not here), and, again, as I've said above, it probably wouldn't have bothered me if you called other music "crap", IF it where not for someone explicitly (and rather politly) asking of you to avoid that wording...

My reaction to that came from your answer to that and propably my experience with you from former disagreement(s)...

As I've said, it isn't what you say, but how you say it, that I have a problem with...

Am I too sensitive? maybe... but I simply can't get used to your way of argumentation... that could be because I've never encountered this in this forum before...

Jeanette's "Corazon De Poeta":

Jeanette is British and has a Hungarian husband/manager but yes, she sings for Spanish arrangers and Spanish record companies. She was supposed to be the Spanish version of Jane Birkin for France but Spain isn´t France, she is not Jane Birkin and, mainly, she didn´t have a genius like Serge Gainsbourg.

I do like some of her songs (who are written by excellent songwritters), like "Porque te vas" but I couldn´t take her too seriously...

Look, BA, I think you're having a hard time overcoming the first impression you left. Your first posts were seen by some as anti-semitic and one that followed was seen by others as sexist. Personally, I don't care. You can call anything I like "crap" (well, maybe not The Beatles :)), but the majority of people expect and appreciate a bit of courtesy and tact.

I don't think anybody here considers you a horrible person - a lot of us enjoy a bit of debate about things. It does shake things up to a degree, and it happens with some regularity. I once foolishly entered a heated debate about punk music with Blind-Fitter, and I surely shook my virtual fist at him. But now he's one of my favorite people here. :)

Actually, this whole thing might've just been a setup for me to compliment Blind-Fitter. I'm okay with that.

Anyhoo, hopefully we can all just get on with it.

You were asked very politely not to call "crap" things you dislike. Just say you don´t like it.

By the way, how can you compare Miguel Bose to David Bowie????? I won´t say he´s crap (Bose) cause we´re on a polite board and we are polite people... I just find him the less interesting guy in many ways... He would be happy to read your post...

And I politely declined the request, or do you consider declining a request as "impolite"?

You can think whatever you want of Miguel Bose. I don't think David Bowie ever sang in Spanish, so there was a bit of niche in the Spanish Pop market for someone almost as strange and bizarre as he was.

If there's one thing the Internet has taught me, it's this:

Never have an opinion. You'll just offend people.

Hahaha. Too true in this instance.

just a small technicality: I quoted you and only wrote "bitter" omitting the "almonds" (as opposed to actually deleting it), because first (and most important) everybody will still recognise from which poster I quoted and secondly it seemed to fit at that time, but that's just me... ;)

It's not a "small technicality" if I understood your intent and purpose for doing this, which you now admit.

As I've said above it doesn't bother me that you (or anyone else) has a different taste of music, and of course It doesn't bother me that you speak, explain or try to defend your opinion, it doesn't bother me either that you called me "very sensitive", I've been called alot worse (but curiously not here), and, again, as I've said above, it probably wouldn't have bothered me if you called other music "crap", IF it where not for someone explicitly (and rather politly) asking of you to avoid that wording...

My reaction to that came from your answer to that and propably my experience with you from former disagreement(s)...

As I've said, it isn't what you say, but how you say it, that I have a problem with...

Am I too sensitive? maybe... but I simply can't get used to your way of argumentation... that could be because I've never encountered this in this forum before...

I'm going to say this one more time: Saying "no" is not the same as "being impolite."

Jeanette is British and has a Hungarian husband/manager but yes, she sings for Spanish arrangers and Spanish record companies. She was supposed to be the Spanish version of Jane Birkin for France but Spain isn´t France, she is not Jane Birkin and, mainly, she didn´t have a genius like Serge Gainsbourg.

I do like some of her songs (who are written by excellent songwritters), like "Porque te vas" but I couldn´t take her too seriously...

Jeanette was born in London, but lived here in California as a kid. Her music career is centred in Spain, so, to me, she's a "Spanish singer." I used to think she was Portuguese or Brasilian because I had heard songs in Portuguese by her and because her accent doesn't sound quite so Spanish.

http://www.teacuerdas.com/nostalgia-musica.htm

Would've been optimal to have Serge Gainsbourg work with such talent (as Jane B. never sang in Spanish, to my recollection).

it's true, you know! people take things far too personally!

Some equate comments on their favourite bands and music as an actual personal insult, which it is obviously not. Oh, man. I wonder how I'd feel if I took comments personal whenever I hear the hatred that pours down on Futurist Noise, E-Z Listnening, Lounge, Muzak, and Italodisco. I'd go off the deep end!

Edited by Guest
Boldening the comments of other members to see them better.

Look, BA, I think you're having a hard time overcoming the first impression you left. Your first posts were seen by some as anti-semitic and one that followed was seen by others as sexist. Personally, I don't care. You can call anything I like "crap" (well, maybe not The Beatles :)), but the majority of people expect and appreciate a bit of courtesy and tact.

I'm only having a hard time with members with misconceptions about myself.

I don't think anybody here considers you a horrible person - a lot of us enjoy a bit of debate about things. It does shake things up to a degree, and it happens with some regularity. I once foolishly entered a heated debate about punk music with Blind-Fitter, and I surely shook my virtual fist at him. But now he's one of my favorite people here. :)

Actually, this whole thing might've just been a setup for me to compliment Blind-Fitter. I'm okay with that.

Anyhoo, hopefully we can all just get on with it.

Looks as if I cannot quote more than one member or else the tags don't work. Anyway, I thought we had all "got on with it" from the first day, but apparently some are still carrying these misconceptions about myself. The only courtesy I expect is to be allowed to discuss music, so long as I don't use profane language or directly insult another member (as per teh rulz of the board). If someone has a "request" for me to cease discussing music at a music board, it is better for them to message me in private... there are a lot of posts which are irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Looks as if I cannot quote more than one member or else the tags don't work. Anyway, I thought we had all "got on with it" from the first day, but apparently some are still carrying these misconceptions about myself. The only courtesy I expect is to be allowed to discuss music, so long as I don't use profane language or directly insult another member (as per teh rulz of the board). If someone has a "request" for me to cease discussing music at a music board, it is better for them to message me in private... there are a lot of posts which are irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Bitter-Almonds, I think we met on the wrong foot here...

I'm not a unreasonable person (mostly) and I'm willing to admit that I overreacted over certain topics (I believe I already did that)

and frankly, I'm tired to spend my time on my favourite board with arguing, especially over, objektivly seen, minor issues...

so, I will try to look past this in future topics...