same band- different incarnations??

windy1

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it wasn't till 92 or so that Nirvana really hit it, but I can see what you're saying, you were 3.. But then, most of my favorite music is from when I was around 3.. Just because you're from a certain generation doesn't define the music you listen to. I would start the whole debate over and say that "so-and-so are the whoever of this decade" rather than generation.

But that's just me. :)

It's quite difficult to define what a "generation" really is, which is why I apply an Occam's Razor to things and choose an arbitrary timeline no more than 10 years. Either that, or I try to use distinguishable music genres and subgenres. It's probably harder in sites such as this one since members listen to a wider variety of music than... "regular" folk who tune in to their local big radio station or still watch eMpTyV TRL.

I can name 100 good bands/artistrs around since 2000!

You're just pre-judging by top 40 material. I would say music today is just as solid as it was in the 60's and 70's.

And when you slated Death Cab as Power Pop, could you not call the Beatles the same thing?

Bands termed as "Power Pop" came after The Beatles. You might know some really famous ones such as The Cars, The Knack, Cheap Trick, Squeeze (maybe), et al. Most fans of the genre will tend to go toward the more esoteric junk: 20/20, The ComSat Angels, and so on. Good schtuff. I think a lot of the "new" New Wave crap like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, The Bravery, et cetera derive a lot of their sound from them.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:383

Bands termed as "Power Pop" came after The Beatles. You might know some really famous ones such as The Cars, The Knack, Cheap Trick, Squeeze (maybe), et al. Most fans of the genre will tend to go toward the more esoteric junk: 20/20, The ComSat Angels, and so on. Good schtuff. I think a lot of the "new" New Wave crap like Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, The Bravery, et cetera derive a lot of their sound from them.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:383

can you avoid calling everything crap? it's getting quite annoying for some of us who like these bands

...would you like to elaborate? I'm curious now. :)

It's weird actually. There are just differences I've observed through school and college between people from different batches. The ones who are two years younger than us are a lot different from what we were at that age than those who are just one year younger. Yes, yes, it's not a very scientific way to pass a judgement like that, but I just see such a huge difference between '88 and '89 borns that I sttribute it to a change in generation! :)

Why not? :confused:

Would you rather want me to lie and write that I love bands whose music I don't like very much? Like some sycophant? The appeal of web sites such as this one is in the variety of opinion - even the ones I dis-agree with. It's all about the music discussion, not about arguing. I'm not trying to change members' minds about the bands they love, or even what a "generation" really is. I'm just telling what I think of these things. Sure, I use the word "crap" quite a bit. It's a lot less offensive than many of the other synonyms I could think up at the time I wrote that. The next time, I'll try to vary my vocabulary to include better euphemisms for music that sux.

I'm not trying to change members' minds about the bands they love, or even what a "generation" really is. I'm just telling what I think of these things. Sure, I use the word "crap" quite a bit. It's a lot less offensive than many of the other synonyms I could think up at the time I wrote that. The next time, I'll try to vary my vocabulary to include better euphemisms for music that sux.

But why do it in such an antagonising way? We all know that some aspects of our music are not liked by others and that each of us doesn't like or even detest some songs/bands that we know others are a huge fan of. That's what's called personal taste and there's nothing to say against it. But you have to realise, that by calling it "crap" music you're at the very least irritating people, if not even hurt their feelings...

What's wrong with "I don't like Franz Ferdinand" or "I don't care for..." or "I don't get their music" or "that's just not my music" etc. I'm sure you can think of some other froms as well...

or even better: If you can't say something positive, don't say anything at all...

There is nothing wrong with your paraphrasing, except those are not my thoughts and statements. However, I do see something wrong with not voicing a thought on a topic just because other members do not - or might not - agree with it (don't you?). The rules here do not specify whether we are only allowed to write positive thoughts on music, so I thought it was alright to say something isn't as good or just plain sucks. If you are offended or irritated by others merely saying this-or-that is bunk, then you must be an extremely sensitive person - as I didn't resort to personal insults, or used any language that could be considered "profane" or even coarse.

You have to understand that from the moment you first posted here you have come off as slightly negative, combative and patronizing. So your posts have a tendency to make ears perk up.

There is nothing wrong with saying something is "crap", but when questioned please offer insight as to why you think so - don't merely defend your right to say it. The people here are incredibly open to discussion; button-pushing is a different thing altogether.

Just cause you dont like it doesnt mean its crap, actually judging by what youve said so far, its probably the opposite. You're obviously wrong if an entire board of intelligent people disagree with you, so just put your ego aside, and dont bother coming here anymore.

For what it's worth, I would like to stick up for the other guy's right to describe bands that he doesn't rate as "crap", or to say "they suck". What's the problem? I daresay many of you would regard some of my favourite music as crap. Big deal. If you think something's crap, why not come out and say so?

As Bitter Almonds points out, you are involved in a debate. In debates, people sometimes tend to disagree with one another. People who are knowledgeable about music may also be quite passionate about what (they think)'s good and what isn't. Looking at this debate from the outside I wouldn't say Bitter Almonds has been particularly antagonistic. In my own experience, I have found to my cost that the mere act of disagreement with another member, (even if one expresses this in a reasonably civil, humourous and insightful way) can, in the wrong hands, be wildly misinterpreted as wilful antagonism and be clamped down upon. This in turn stifles interesting debate, leading to bland, stagnant discussion boards and alot of nauseating mutual congratulation. Why the fear of disagreement? Without it, what a dull old place it would be.

As for the suggestion that the majority has the final say on what's crap and what isn't, and that if you can't get with the majority, then you should get out...frankly astounding.

Throughout my life I have noticed that, in actual fact the majority rarely has taste as good as my own. In fact the majority frequently makes ghastly blunders, and elevates to god-like status quite alot of frankly undeserving figures. The examples are too many to mention, but those who've been round these boards the last year probably have an idea who I mean. The majority is not to be trusted. For example, I happen to think that "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo is by some distance the biggest heap of unmitigated crap ever. But whaddyaknow? Number 1 hit both sides of the Atlantic and still fondly reminisced about by "people of discernment" to this day. Not a single Songfactor joined me in condemning it as the worst song ever in a recent SF poll. (But am I bitter?) Yet I will never be swayed in my steadfast belief that this band were, without rival, the crappest of the crap....*

*with the possible exception of Duran Duran.

Did I really say that? Did I really mean it? Is anybody truly offended? Really?

Edited by Guest
a few minor adjustments to another Fitter masterpiece.

Whoas.

Mono (the band) is the English-speaking version of Jeanette. They also come from totally different times. Jeanette from the late 60s, 70s, and early 80s, and Mono came in the 90s. What generation was it over in Spain in the past? See? It's difficult as I am not familiar with what was going on over there when "Corazon De Poeta" and "El Muchacho De Los Ojos Tristes" debuted way back in the day. I just know that Mono sounds very similar to her (almost the same way Aqualung sounds like Radiohead).

joke.gif

Mono's "Life In Mono":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u3CPTfpsYc

Jeanette's "Corazon De Poeta":

Edited by Guest

seeing as this whole thing started because of me (kind of), can I just say that the only reason I commented is because bitter almond pissed me off by saying that bands I like are crap. which obviously i have the right to be pissed off about. In the same irrational way that someone can dislike something and call it crap, I like it and get annoyed when others don't.

that's all

For what it's worth, I would like to stick up for the other guy's right to describe bands that he doesn't rate as "crap", or to say "they suck". What's the problem? I daresay many of you would regard some of my favourite music as crap. Big deal. If you think something's crap, why not come out and say so?

As Bitter Almonds points out, you are involved in a debate. In debates, people sometimes tend to disagree with one another. People who are knowledgeable about music may also be quite passionate about (what they think's) good and what isn't. Looking at this debate from the outside I wouldn't say Bitter Almonds has been particularly antagonistic. In my own experience, I have found to my cost that the mere act of disagreement with another member, (even if one expresses this in a reasonably civil, humourous and insightful way) can, in the wrong hands, be wildly misinterpreted as wilful antagonism and be clamped down upon. This in turn stifles interesting debate, leading to bland, stagnant discussion boards and alot of nauseating mutual congratulation. Why the fear of disagreement? Without it, what a dull old place it would be.

As for the suggestion that the majority has the final say on what's crap and what isn't, and that if you can't get with the majority, then you should get out...frankly astounding.

Throughout my life I have noticed that, in actual fact the majority rarely has taste as good as my own. In fact the majority frequently makes ghastly blunders, and elevates to god-like status quite alot of frankly undeserving figures. The examples are too many to mention, but those who've been round these boards the last year probably have an idea who I mean. The majority is not to be trusted. For example, I happen to think that "Too Shy" by Kajagoogoo is by some distance the biggest heap of unmitigated crap ever. But whaddyaknow? Number 1 hit both sides of the Atlantic and still fondly reminisced about by "people of discernment" to this day. Yet I will never be swayed in my steadfast belief that this band were the crappest of the crap....*

*with the possible exception of Duran Duran.

Did I really say that? Did I really mean it? Is anybody truly offended? Really?

of course you're right... :bow:

I think das made the best point here...

I probably wouldn't have said anything if anyone here wrote that he/she thinks of a band as "crap".

And to tell the truth, I didn't even notice it when Bitter Almonds said it the first time...

but, as das said, he came on (from my perspective) as rather antagonising from his first post and most of them until today, and if then someone asks of him to please stop these kind of argumentation, and his response is simply "No" (as opposed to "No, because..." or "No, but..."), well I just felt that I had to asks for his motive...

:crazy:

Sharan Q, a J-Pop band from Japan who debuted in the 90s (I think), shares vocal tone similarities with South American Pop singer Ricardo Montaner from the 80s. Sharan Q is the Japanese equivalent of Ricardo Montaner. These bands and singers are not doo-doo related (zing!). Check out "La Cima Del Cielo" by Ricardo Montaner and "Single Bed" by Sharan Q to listen for yourselves.

Sharan Q's "Single Bed" (from 199X):

Ricardo Montaner's "Tan Enamorados":

Edited by Guest