same band- different incarnations??

windy1

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't name a "this generations Beatles" because there is no such thing.

I can certainly list viable artists from this generation. A lot of people here can. The topic here seems to be about more recent (since, say, 1990) artists compared to "classic" artists from the 60's and 70's, so I'll stick with "since 1990" as the definition of "this generation":

Radiohead

Damien Rice

Aimee Mann

Soundgarden

Tori Amos

Flaming Lips

Nirvana

Coldplay

Death Cab For Cutie

Fiona Apple

Jon Brion

Bright Eyes

Wilco

Jeff Buckley

Pixies

Jellyfish

Smashing Pumpkins

Magnetic Fields

Antony & The Johnsons

Self

King's X

Outkast

The Pharcyde

Aqualung

Cat Power

Bird York

Beck

Now, if you want just people who became active/prominent in the past few years, I repeat nearly half the list:

Damien Rice

Flaming Lips

Outkast

Coldplay

Death Cab For Cutie

Bright Eyes

Wilco

Magnetic Fields

Antony & The Johnsons

Self

Aqualung

Cat Power

Bird York

This isn't even touching on a lot of indie, country, hip-hop, world, etc., people out now. I am a huge fan of the classic stuff, and have a lot of problems with the current pop music landscape. But I'm not so shortsighted as to think a few bad apples are spoiling the bunch. As we've covered many times here, there has been crap in every generation. History just has a way of weeding out the bad.

I can't name a "this generations Beatles" because there is no such thing.

I can certainly list viable artists from this generation. A lot of people here can. The topic here seems to be about more recent (since, say, 1990) artists compared to "classic" artists from the 60's and 70's, so I'll stick with "since 1990" as the definition of "this generation":

Radiohead

Damien Rice

Aimee Mann

Soundgarden

Tori Amos

Flaming Lips

Nirvana

Coldplay

Death Cab For Cutie

Fiona Apple

Jon Brion

Bright Eyes

Wilco

Jeff Buckley

Pixies

Jellyfish

Smashing Pumpkins

Magnetic Fields

Antony & The Johnsons

Self

King's X

Outkast

The Pharcyde

Aqualung

Cat Power

Bird York

Beck

Now, if you want just people who became active/prominent in the past few years, I repeat nearly half the list:

Damien Rice

Flaming Lips

Outkast

Coldplay

Death Cab For Cutie

Bright Eyes

Wilco

Magnetic Fields

Antony & The Johnsons

Self

Aqualung

Cat Power

Bird York

This isn't even touching on a lot of indie, country, hip-hop, world, etc., people out now. I am a huge fan of the classic stuff, and have a lot of problems with the current pop music landscape. But I'm not so shortsighted as to think a few bad apples are spoiling the bunch. As we've covered many times here, there has been crap in every generation. History just has a way of weeding out the bad.

Difference of opinion. I don't see how 16 years ago could be considered the current generation. Back then it was "Generation X" sort of atmosphere. It hasn't been that in a while. A lot of those bands and artists you listed I wouldn't consider a part of this generation, which is why I said there aren't good things coming out at the moment... and your reply demonstrated this. If that's the case, then I can name 30-year old bands and claim they're part of this generation because they put out a record or two in the past couple of years. In the context of this topic, I could say, "Donald Fagen is this generation's Steely Dan."

Certainly it's a difference of opinion. You quoted my entire post, but it doesn't seem as though you actually read it:

"A lot of those bands and artists you listed I wouldn't consider a part of this generation"

This is what I said: "The topic here seems to be about more recent (since, say, 1990) artists compared to "classic" artists from the 60's and 70's, so I'll stick with "since 1990" as the definition of "this generation""

"I said there aren't good things coming out at the moment... and your reply demonstrated this."

This is what I said: "Now, if you want just people who became active/prominent in the past few years, I repeat nearly half the list:

Perhaps you're thinking only of bands who debuted in 2006? Or maybe since spring? I listed archaic bands like Nirvana because they're relevant to this topic. Define "this generation", please.

Certainly it's a difference of opinion. You quoted my entire post, but it doesn't seem as though you actually read it:

"A lot of those bands and artists you listed I wouldn't consider a part of this generation"

This is what I said: "The topic here seems to be about more recent (since, say, 1990) artists compared to "classic" artists from the 60's and 70's, so I'll stick with "since 1990" as the definition of "this generation""

"I said there aren't good things coming out at the moment... and your reply demonstrated this."

This is what I said: "Now, if you want just people who became active/prominent in the past few years, I repeat nearly half the list:

Perhaps you're thinking only of bands who debuted in 2006? Or maybe since spring? I listed archaic bands like Nirvana because they're relevant to this topic. Define "this generation", please.

I read your entire reply. I was thinking this generation's music would start from 2000 on up. I mean, how's a 15 or 16-year old going to remember first hearing an album or song that debuted in 1990?

Damien Rice - this is what I meant by this generation

Flaming Lips - doesn't count; debuted in 1985

Outkast - active in the 90s and became big in the 2000s. Alright, it's this generation

Clodplay - haha. It's this generation's Radiohead!

Death Cab For Cutie - This generation.

Bright Eyes - Yeah, it's from this generation and it's what sucks about the "indie" scene.

Wilco - debuted in 90s. I probably saw a music video or interview on eMpTyV's 120 Minutes before eMpTyV completely sunk into non-music programming. Not this generation.

Magnetic Fields - Since the 90s? That's not current.

Antony & The Johnsons - This generation.

Self - Never heard of...

Aqualung - This generation's Clodplay haha. Sure. He sounds better, too.

Cat Power - A little more output in the 90s... this generation?

Bird York - Never heard of...

1] You didn't ask for comparisons to other artists, you simply said "name them".

2] Just because you've never heard an artist doesn't mean they aren't relevant. The point daslied was trying to prove was that there is music outside of the top 40.

1. Yes and...?

2. That's two out of the whole list. Actually, a lot of what he listed gets played on the radio and even has a music video broadcasted on eMpTyV, so the whole "not top 40" idea was lost on me. Heck, The Flaming Lips were used in VH1 commercials last year.

You have the wrong impression. I'm under the impression this is a forum made for the purpose of discussing music.

yes, that's right, of course

but e.g. in your last answer to daslied, you exclusivly wrote about how das was wrong (in your opinion) in every detail, but you didn't give any examples of your own...

yes, that's right, of course

but e.g. in your last answer to daslied, you exclusivly wrote about how das was wrong (in your opinion) in every detail, but you didn't give any examples of your own...

No, he noted some very relevant artists which I'd consider a part of this generation.

- Damien Rice is this generation's, um, Felt?

- Death Cab For Cutie is this generation's insert late 70s/early 80s Power Pop band.

“I mean, how's a 15 or 16-year old going to remember first hearing an album or song that debuted in 1990?â€

Perhaps they heard it for the first time just yesterday.

The Flaming Lips are more prominent today than in 1985, yes?

Wilco is more prominent today than in the 90’s, yes? They even had a movie made about them after the 90’s.

Magnetic Fields was never heard of until 1999, and got more press for an album 2 years ago than at any other time.

So why is Outkast okay with you as “this generation†but others are not?

Self? Well, I’ll give you that one. Nobody’s heard of them/him.

Bird York? Big song in the movie “Crashâ€. Before that, nothing. This generation.

The original “not Top 40†statement was just a way of saying “Don’t generalize current music based on the 1% that’s popular with 14 year olds.†I liked a lot of crap when I was fourteen, but I grew out of it. “My generationâ€, though the time of grunge, also had hair bands and New Kids On The Block. But when people talk about 90’s music the only things seriously considered are groups like Nirvana, Dr. Dre, Pearl Jam, etc. The 70’s sucked because of disco. The 60’s sucked because of The Monkees (sorry, Peaches). A decade later what was considered “crap†is just considered “noveltyâ€. We don’t yet have the benefit of hindsight regarding this generation’s music, but in ten years most people will probably realize that it wasn’t so bad.

I like this discussion. It's my fault for not laying a simple defition from the onset. To me, this generation are people around the ages of 13 (when - I think - most people become aware of music and pop culture) up to around 25. I'd say sometime around 1997 to present is what I'd construe as "today's music". The further you go back, the less likely that music would've first debuted for a teenager to hear. Hey, yesterday was the first time I heard so-an-so is not the same thing as something genuinely coming from this generation. Up until a few years ago, I hadn't heard most of Holger Czukay/Can and Klaus Schultze. They're still music from another generation, another time. This is why the example compared one generation's music to The Beatles. Par example:

Japan was the Roxy Music of the New Wave era.

Oasis is The Beatles of 90s BritPop.

Suede was the Nick Gilder of 90s BritPop.

Aqualung is the Radiohead of this generation.

Mikel Erentxun is the Morrissey of late-90s Spanish Rock.

I'm neurotic like that...