Fleetwood Mac

Bob Seger

Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble

Alice In Chains

CCR

The Doors

Johnny Cash

Allman Brothers

REO Speedwagon (although I get made fun of for that one)

Eric Clapton

Boston- pretty good, better loud

Well first we need to define what a "great" band is. A great band must define something (an era, a genre, etc.). Also, the band should have a lasting impact on music. Popularity is also important (it's not everything, but it's certainly a small part of it). Also, some of my musical history (stuff about who came first) is not terrific, seeing that I was born in 1989. That having been said:

For the sixties (and to me, all time) I would say The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Hendrix defined both acid rock and the late 60's. Hendrix also has a lasting impact on music. It seems like before Hendrix, the average music group was more about cohesiveness. Hendrix pushed the limits of what you could with a guitar, and the guitar really stood out more than anything in a group (while still retaining the cohesive sound). Without the idea of "pushing the limits," prog rock might have never happened. Without the idea of having the guitar stand out so greatly, the entire 70's music scene would have been different, heavy metal might have never happened, especially 80's metal. Also, as far as musical ability goes, they were great. Hendrix had more talent and emotion in his playing than anyone at the time, and in my opinion, the most of any guitar group ever.

For the seventies, it's a tossup between the Who and Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin defined 70's hard rock to me. They were bluesy, hard rocking, sludgy, and mysterious. Heavy metal wouldn't have happened without them, because mysteriousness is one of metal's key elements. Led Zeppelin reminds me of a lumbering dinosaur, which is what I think of when I hear the term "70's rock." Also, each member of the band is extremely talented. Robert Plant is of course a great singer, and I think he, along with Ian Gillian, pioneered the heavy metal constantly screaming vocals. Jimmy Page is of course a very talented guitarist. John Paul Jones had some great basslines, and provided the keys to some of their best songs, such as synthesizer on Kashmir, and flutes on Stairway. John Bonham is a great drummer. It's hard to believe that the bass drum on "Good Times Bad Times" is done with a single foot. He also helped give Zeppelin their distinctively heavy sound. All these talented musicians were very cohesive, and made great music together.

I think I'm going to skip the 80s

For the 90's, I think the greatest band is probably Nirvana. Even though it's debatable where grunge started (I actually think it's roots go back to the sludge metal of the 70's), most will agree it wouldn't have been the phenomenon it was without Nirvana. They represented everything about grunge; a simple sound, heavy guitars, and angst-filled lyrics. They also made it so the most popular music the rest of the decade would be unhappy. They basically set the stage for the rest of the 90's and effectively wiped out the 80's.

As for the 00's, there's no telling so far. Hopefully the greatest will turn out to be the White Stripes, and they will bring blues rock to mainstream radio. That would be awesome. They've got a new CD coming out IN TWO DAYS!!! I just can't wait. I am so excited, I won't even go get it at the public library, I am going to run (yes, run) to the CD store and buy it. With money.

Here's some more bands that I think should get some recognition, but I don't have a ton of knowledge about the bands, or am too lazy to write more:

The Beatles

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

Yes

Black Sabbath

Soundgarden

I think that they definitely have moxy, see? :jester:

I reckon that Batman would make a good teacher when he grows up! His posts are so detailed and he always backs up what he's got to say with examples!! A++

Well thanks! I do put time into my posts, but mostly because it's fun.

1. Led Zeppelin

2. Pink Floyd

3. AC/DC

4. The Doors

5. The Beatles(on Drugs)

6. The Hendrix Experiance

7. Rolling Stones

8. Aerosmith

9. Cream

And not necessarly one of the greatest rock bands ever, but you have to give props to the best band of modern times

Audioslave.

:guitar:

Not quite sure how to work this yet. so please for give a newbie.

Personally I think a great rock band has to evoke feelings. A band has to have songs that can make you jump up and down, bring back memories, relate to your feelings (good or bad), and/or take you to a fantasy world. The main band that can do all those things for me, and winner of my favorite band of all time is... (god i can't get this stupid envelope open)...

LED ZEPPELIN :rockon:

1. Led Zeppelin

2. Pink Floyd

3. AC/DC

4. The Doors

5. The Beatles(on Drugs)

6. The Hendrix Experiance

7. Rolling Stones

8. Aerosmith

9. Cream

And not necessarly one of the greatest rock bands ever, but you have to give props to the best band of modern times

Audioslave.

:guitar:

Not quite sure how to work this yet. so please for give a newbie.

I like you allready! You have great musical taste, a cool name, and act polite about your newbie-ness! You get three thumb smiley people :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Well, EagleEye, most people here have heard and enjoy listening to most of your list. With me, the only band on there who I haven't heard any of their albums is Uriah Heep, but I've been meaning to listen to them for a while.

And I think it's pretty stupid to have only 16 posts, and already assume everyone on the site is naive about music.

Ok we all love the old classic rock bands and you all forgot Guns n Roses how could you!

anyway all these bands are great but the present is where things are happenin (amazing thought isn't it) anyway I now know who to thank for inventing vocal distortion (roaring, rasping screaming etc) What I don't understand is that no one here likes or has heard of most modern metal bands, and no I am not talking Korn, I am talking bands like As I Lay Dying, Symphony in Peril, Zao, Twelve Tribes. These bands are not little-known they are just not in the mainstream genre so becoming well known is harder when you dont sound like Simple Plan or Snoop Dogg. Most of the greatest musicians are in rock or metal bands like Slash :guitar: and Zao's ex drummer Jesse Smith :drummer:

I can give people some songs if you want a listen

I love your list there, EagleEye....but Genesis blows, and most likely so do you.

Naive?..... :doh:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:thumbsup: :laughing: :thumbsup: :doh: :thumbsup: :laughing:

Baby, you need to do a little more research into this site before you go labeling people. At least half of us here have listened to these "great rock bands" up close and in personal, and when the music was new. Very few here are that naive, even the youngers. We've just had the time and experience to form our own opinions. And it's not nice to shout. :thumbsdown:

Oh and Batman....Listen to Uriah Heap! :thumbsup: