Enjoy Every Sandwich

Uncle Joe

I just heard about this CD Tribute to Warren Zevon titled "Enjoy Every Sandwich". It's a compilation of Zevon songs done by his friends and former collaborators. I've only heard one song from the CD...Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me by Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt. It's a winner. Have any of you heard this album and what is your recommendation?

Here is the album cover and song listing. BTW, the title comes from a quote by Warren when he was on Letterman just after it became known that he was dieing. Letterman asked, "Do you have any recommendation for the folks out there?" Zevon replied, "Enjoy every sandwich". Got a big laugh.

enjoyeverysandwich.jpg

Track Listings

1. Searching for a Heart - Don Henley

2. Werewolves of London - Adam Sandler

3. Reconsider Me - Steve Earle & Reckless Kelly

4. Poor Poor Pitiful Me - Jackson Browne & Bonnie Raitt

5. My Ride's Here (Live) - Bruce Springsteen

6. Lawyers Guns and Money - Wallflowers

7. Studebaker - Jordan Zevon

8. The Wind - Billy Bob Thornton

9. Splendid Isolation - Pete Yorn

10. Mutineer (Live) - Bob Dylan

11. Monkey Wash Donkey Rinse - David Lindley & Ry

Cooder

12. Don't Let Us Get Sick - Jill Sobule

13. Ain't That Pretty At All - Pixies

14. Keep Me in Your Heart - Jorge Calderon & Jennifer

Warnes

15. Keep Me in Your Heart (Strings Only) - Van Dyke Parks

I have already bid on this CD at e-Bay...as a Zevon fan I have to have it. Nice line-up of artists.

Thanks for opening up a good thread, onkel. ::

I feel bad for Jordan, Warren's son, because of his parents' passing so close to each other (less than a year apart and both from cancer).

I'll be honest and say I had never heard Enjoy Every Sandwich before and must say it sent a shiver down my spine once I realized it's origin and the situation behind it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich will be added to my collection as well as my inspirations.

BTW, I've always felt that the opening line in Werewolves of London to be one of the best opening lines in song history.

Sure would have liked to have met him. I liked his style.

:)

"Enjoy every sandwich". Got a big laugh.

People will laugh at anything. I wouldn't have laughed at that profound statement. I would have slowly shook my head in total awe and respect.

Mindless insects.

Thanks for opening up a good thread, onkel. ::

People will laugh at anything. I wouldn't have laughed at that profound statement. I would have slowly shook my head in total awe and respect.

Mindless insects.

Knowing what I know about Warren (the Man and his music), and the fact that it was on the Letterman Show, he was definitely going for the laughs. You've heard his music...that's definitely his style. Long live Warren Zevon!!!

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"I lay my head on the railroad track

and wait for the Double E

The railroad don't run no more

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

These young girls won't let me be

Lord have mercy on me

Woooooe is me

I met a girl in West Hollywood

I ain't namin' names

She really worked me over good

She was just like Jesse James

She really worked me over good

She was a credit to her gender

She put me through some changes, boy

Sort of like a Waring blender

Poor poor pitiful me

Poor poor pitiful me

These young girls won't let me be

Lord have mercy on me

Woooooe is me"

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I read a mediocre review of the new album a couple of days ago in our local newspaper. From what I remember, praise was given to Dylan Jr. and Co. for their rendition of "Lawyers, Guns, and Money", and to "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me". Flops included "Mutineer", performed by Dylan Sr., and whoever covered "Keep Me In Your Heart", which lost all sentiment felt in the original version.

Mindless insects.

Muzik, I love that... "mindless insect"... I´m gonna use it when I need to call ugly things somebody...

I like the philosophy within the title of the record... "Enjoy every sandwich"... I didn´t know about Zevon and wife dying so close in time.

Billy Bob Thornton always gets crap for his musical attempts, and I'll neither defend nor defame him, however... his interpretation of the unfinished "The Wind" song that Warren began (but never became part of the album by the same name) is haunting. I can't help but wish The Man was still around to sing it for us himself, though.

:puppyeyes:

Peace & Love,

Sugah

My CD (from e-Bay) arrived yesterday. Listened to it three times and I give it an 8 out of a possible 10. If you're a Zevon fan you will love this CD. Most of the various artists performed the Zevon songs as they knew he'd have wanted them done. With only a couple of exceptions they avoided giving the songs their own interpretations. And on this particular Tribute Album I think that was wise.

Don Henley's "Searching For A Heart" is excellent. Springteen's "My Ride's Here" really captures the meaning. Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt shine on "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me". Jorge Calderon (Zevon's friend and writing partner) teams with Jennifer Warnes on "Keep Me In Your Heart"...it'll make your eyes well up for sure. Likewise Jordan Zevon's "Studebaker". Billy Bob does an excellent job on "The Wind" and I like Peter Yorn's "Splendid Isolation". The Wallflowers' "Lawyers, Guns and Money" and even Adam Sandler's "Werewolves Of London" do not disappoint. The only 2 that disappointed me were Bob Dylan's "Mutineer" and Jill Sobule's "Don't Let Us Get Sick"...but hey, that's just me.

I've left a few out but overall I highly recommend this CD, especially but not exclusively to any Zevon fan.