John Lennon vs Paul Mcartney

AliceNchains

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the opportunity to see PaulMcCartney once at backstages and I wanted to ask him how came that being such a genius with the Beatles he did such "different" music with Wings... finally, I didn´t... there´s no answer... John Lennon will always be the flame of the Beatles.

We're bigger than Hey-sus...

I couldn't care less about mine or anyones opinion on the Lennon/McCartney popularity issue...

But the correct quote is - John Lennon: "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first -- rock and roll or Christianity".

Add their separate solo discographies and the qualitative total isn't even close to their combined force and talent as symbiotic songwriters. Each influenced the other by what was inside their personalities and though polar opposite in many areas, their match filled the gaps of the other; musically, lyrically, socially and ethically. Though usually writing separately even while Beatles, they both editorialized one another's work and lent additional dynamics to almost every song attributed to that team. Truly the sum was greater than its parts.

I couldn't care less about mine or anyones opinion on the Lennon/McCartney popularity issue...

But the correct quote is - John Lennon: "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first -- rock and roll or Christianity".

What context would that be? "I'm right and I will be proven right." What kind of self-centered egotistical dolt would make such a comment, but someone of dual/hypocritical personality like John Lennon? As a component of The Beatles, I could see John as someone one would reluctantly work with since the weight of his genius would outweigh personal opinion of what he chose to demonstrate of himself to others. There's no denying the truth, though. The guy was self-centered, egotistical, hypocritical, and a dead-beat father.

I had the opportunity to see PaulMcCartney once at backstages and I wanted to ask him how came that being such a genius with the Beatles he did such "different" music with Wings...

I've often wondered that myself, though I love his Beatles' work I wish he could have done better solo, lyrically especially... ::

In all honesty though, I would take "Maybe I'm Amazed" over "Imagine" anyday.

As for the 'Bigger than Jesus' thing, I agree that he was saying that in terms of popularity with the kids they were bigger, not that they were better or superior to Jesus Christ. I think John once pointed out that if he would have said "Television is more popular than Jesus" he probably would not have gotten into that type of trouble. It was more a comment on the state of religion but it was also careless and arrogant.

What context would that be? "I'm right and I will be proven right." What kind of self-centered egotistical dolt would make such a comment, but someone of dual/hypocritical personality like John Lennon? As a component of The Beatles, I could see John as someone one would reluctantly work with since the weight of his genius would outweigh personal opinion of what he chose to demonstrate of himself to others. There's no denying the truth, though. The guy was self-centered, egotistical, hypocritical, and a dead-beat father.

If you're gonna quote something, quote it all! The rest of what he said is "Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me." That's the full context, and I think that much of what he said HAS proven to be true.

Whatever your interpretation of his words, though, I have to say I don't appreciate your crude, hateful comments about Lennon. He was a great artist who a lot of people like me admired. So he was a flawed human being--who the F isn't--but that doesn't take away one iota from his awesome contribution to our music and our culture. (And it is only my respect for the people who run this board, and for those who post their comments, that prevents me from telling you how I really feel.)

If you're gonna quote something, quote it all! The rest of what he said is "Jesus was all right, but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me." That's the full context, and I think that much of what he said HAS proven to be true.

He basically called those who wrote of xtianity based on their personal experience with Jesus "thick and ordinary." From what meat did John eat that made him so great in his own eyes as to judge based on his own ideals (which he couldn't follow himself)? I still stand by what I stated.

Whatever your interpretation of his words, though, I have to say I don't appreciate your crude, hateful comments about Lennon.

What? Are you personally related to John? Are you his close friend whom he confided in? If not, then you've no more insight into his life than I do and since he's the one that put himself out there to be adored (and criticized), then he will receive both. I appreciate your honest opinion on what you think of him.

He was a great artist who a lot of people like me admired. So he was a flawed human being--who the F isn't--but that doesn't take away one iota from his awesome contribution to our music and our culture. (And it is only my respect for the people who run this board, and for those who post their comments, that prevents me from telling you how I really feel.)

Go ahead, guy. Tell it like it is. I feel nothing for Lennon as a person because I didn't know him except for what he decided to show of himself through the media. He was the one out there whoring his flowerchild ideals onto the masses and banking on it. He could have just as easily not done so and still been the genius that he was, but he was also an egomaniac who liked being in the spotlight. Another thing, abandoning your first born son isn't something I would characterize as just a "flaw." That is a being a dead-beat father.

I think everyone here as some very valid points.

Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney had their creative sides and were able to make music that groups of people appreciated. But on a side note, they did make more than one "style" of music but more or less stuck to what was popular at the time.

My biggest arguement would be that Paul McCartney is a little more reserved when it comes to the general publis whereas John Lennon just says what he feels like saying. As far as who was better, they both made good music for the audience that they felt like targeting. John Lennon seemed to target the younger more rebellious crowd while Paul McCartney seemed to target the relaxed and more reserved crowd. I think the best comment hands down is that the two of them together were way better than the two of them apart.

I'll tell it like it is, XXX. You're a mf'in [bleep] (use your limited imagination)

Oh shoot. Who called in teh ghey squad to save John Lennon? Bah, your fugly mug isn't even deign enough to be fotochopped, so I'll use this one instead:

0468.jpg

Is that better, mouthbreathing sucka?

Now, let us compare spouses.

Who's more scraggable?

heather_mills_22_09_2003_01.jpg

Paul's Wife?

or

R.004%20%20YOKO%20SITTING%20PORTRAIT%207

John's wife?

Ugh. Look at that rhesus monkey of a woman. She kinda looked like John Lennon... hmmm. John Lennon was so in love with himself, he decided to marry someone that even looked like him ::