24 Hour Party People

Tenacious_Peaches

This movie has been on Showtime forever and I keep watching bits and pieces of it. I finally watched the whole thing and I really enjoyed it. It's about the "Manchester scene" in the late 70s/early 80s. Tony Wilson formed Factory Records and managed such groups as Joy Division, New Order and the Happy Mondays. The movie is set as a documentary but with Tony actually speaking to the audience in real time...kinda quirky, but I liked it.

Two thumbs up from Peaches! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is an excellent film about the 80s New Wave/New Romantic movement. Before this, we had to rely on ultra-rare copies of Liquid Sky, which didn't deal with any real people on the scene, but portrayed it fabulously. You don't get many films about this sub-genre often, so this was a welcomed surprise :headphones: I agree with your assessment.

I heard about that movie you´re talking about... just "heard about"... I wonder if I could try to get a copy through the web (I mean, buy it...). I´m not a fan of the new-romantic thing but I was workaholic by the time and had a lot to do with it (I insist, Beatles always in my walkman...) My husband had a pop band by then and it would be funny for him. XXX, I must confess I didn´t like "Liquid Sky" when I saw it in 83 or 84... maybe I was deceived somehow, as everybody was telling me to go and see "the best film you´ve ever seen".

I agree it is a top film. Steve Coogan rarely does anything wrong, for me.

I disagree with XXX about the music however. It is about the Manc music scene primarily, which was a dance one as opposed to a 'new romantic' thing. The clothing was sports-casual and catalogue primarily, not a great deal of make-up and no 'Hammer' pants if I recall. The film tracks a progression in music from Joy Division, Magazine and the Buzzcocks, through to New Order, Stone Roses and the Happy Mondays, through the eyes of the great (but flawed)impresario Mr Tony Wilson. My wife used to go to the Hacienda, but to my regret I never did. Silly really as it was only 40mins by train.

Top film.

Regards

Dance and New Romantic vary in style of clothing. You can easily transition from mid-80s NewOrder right across to The Human League, Yazoo, and early Duran Duran, Gary Numan, and then right back to 808 State and late-Joy Division without much alterations. Are they mutually exclusive at clubs that play Synthpop? Maybe at The Hacienda.