Eric Clapton/Layla Unplugged

rkfan413

I have that CD, too, and the audience doesn't really start to cheer until he starts singing the lyrics. At the intro, there are a few hoots, but they are scattered so it could have just been appreciation for the intro, or some smarties who had figured it out.

I've tried so hard to get into Eric Clapton's unplugged version of Layla, but it is too stark a contrast from the original, which I suppose is the point of unplugged, but still...

Some of Eric's other songs have too much of an edge to ever become unplugged versions, and I pray they don't: Sunshine of Your Love, and Crossroads.

Some of Eric's songs might sound okay: Wonderful Tonight, and Promises.

I've tried so hard to get into Eric Clapton's unplugged version of Layla, but it is too stark a contrast from the original, which I suppose is the point of unplugged, but still...

I don´t like Layla unplugged neither. The original is so good and I think it loses all its strenght on acoustic...

I don´t like Layla unplugged neither. The original is so good and I think it loses all its strenght on acoustic...

The two are so completely different. It's almost like they're two different songs. The mood of the songs is the complete opposite, so it's kinda hard for me to compare one to the other.

I agree that the original Layla runs circles around the acoustic version. Try and imagine the acoustic version being created before the original. It would have probably flopped. Had the acoustic version been originally done as a cover by another band it would have received beau coup criticism, IMO.

But, it's nice to have both. Variety certainly overcomes boredom even if some things are better left alone.