Foul language

ImThatGuyToo

John Lennon wrote "Working Class Hero" with the line "When you´re still [bleep] crazy..." in 1970. The BBC replaced the F... by BEEP, but I recall in 1980, spending Xmas with my family in London, Lennon´s death was so close in time that they waved the song with the bad word inc.

Another one just occurred to me. On the Beatles White Album (1968) John Lennon sings, on "I'm So Tired", ....and curse Sir Walter Raleigh he was such a stupid GET. These days, "get" may not sound like foul language but it certainly was in England in the 1960's. The Monkees song Alternate Title was originally titled Randy Scouse Get but they had to change it so the BBC would not ban it. As for the meaning of "Scouse", that's another story......

What about Country Joe and the Fish at Woodstock (1969) when they replaced the F.I.S.H. cheer on "I Feel Like I'm Fixing To Die" with the F.*.*.* cheer? It's on the Woodstock album.

You´re right, it´s the famous "Gimme an F... gimme a U... etc." It´s also in the movie... What I didn´t know is that "git" was a bleeped word...I thought it was liverpudian slang.

I remember the word "s***" is said somewhere in the Velvet Underground song, The Gift (1967), although it isn't really a famous song. I think the VU were so ahead of their time that they are still under appreciated by the mainstream.

Maybe the first famous song to have a blatant curse word was KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHERF***** (1969 MC5).

• 2 weeks later...