Songs that you secretly enjoy

Nirvana2k4

What are some particular songs you all say you hate by a band or someone when around friends or family, but if you were alone listening to this song you would actually enjoy it?

Don't be embarrassed. :)

Mine are:

A lot of Sugar Ray songs. [Only ashamed a little bit because I always argue about what's real in music and what's just done in a computer. A lot of Sugar Ray songs provide their sounds through a computer or DJ . . . but I like em'. :o]

Couple Beastie Boys songs. [i hate rap.]

"Closing Time" by Semisonic

"Semi-charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind

"Love Shack" by B-52's

"Cathy's Clown" by Everly Brothers

"Windy" The Association

"Five O'Clock World" by The Vogues

Grrr . . . I've got a lot more, but these are a lot of fresh ones to me.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it's interesting you should bring this up. I was just speaking with my brother this morning about just such a topic.

When we were discovering music, back in the 70's, I professed my undying hatred for the disco movement and anything affiliated with it, but secretly, I thought the soundtrack from 'Saturday Night Fever' was brilliant.

Hmmm. Nope. Can't think of anything I haven't already admitted to liking in public. If I loathe something, I usually hate it deep down inside too :) I have, on the other hand, pretended to like something that I deeply hate. Evanescence comes to mind. I intensely dislike her songs, she annoys me, irritates and grates on me, but I have said I like them to be a little tactful. The other would be Tori Amos. One of my gfs liked all that Lillith Fair crap, so that meant I had to listen to that crap too :help:

I´ve worked for many years with the "avant-garde", or so-called, trend in music: by the time, call it Residents, Tuxedo Moon, Diamanda Galas, SPK, even Peter Gabriel and many minimal, conceptual etc. music. I was supposed to be a "connoisseur", but when I had a little time off, I used to go to another office (we were making TV programs) where some friends of mine did a nostalgia pop-show and there watch videos of Motown, Bee Gees, Carpenters... or french music like France Gall, Françoise Hardy, Michel Polnareff and so. And some years before, of course, being 17 and smoking pot and going to the Rolling Stones, King Crimson or Santana concerts, you´d better hide even the Beatles albums... The first 70s were hard!!!!! :laughing: :laughing:

I did like a lot Tuxedo Moon, I heard "Suite en Sous-sol" and I found it very differerent to other music of that kind. I worked with them in a couple of TV shows, even had some fun together... Peter Principle was a very tall and cool guy. There was also Blaine Reininger, the brain, and Steve Brown by the time... Last thing I heard from them was "Ghost Sonata".

Do you know Blancmange? They were around at the time, I liked them very much.

None, if I like a song, I'll admit it, I won't hide it or anything.

"Love Shack" by B-52's

:laughing: LOL at B-52's

Back when I was in High School & that song was new, I would've punched anybody for liking that crap.

"Chop Suey" - System of a Down (because I'm Christian and its apparently anti-religion.)

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with SoaD, they rock :rockon:

When we were discovering music, back in the 70's, I professed my undying hatred for the disco movement and anything affiliated with it, but secretly, I thought the soundtrack from 'Saturday Night Fever' was brilliant.

I also have that vinyl stashed away somewhere, I loved it as a kid.

I did like a lot Tuxedo Moon, I heard "Suite en Sous-sol" and I found it very differerent to other music of that kind. I worked with them in a couple of TV shows, even had some fun together... Peter Principle was a very tall and cool guy. There was also Blaine Reininger, the brain, and Steve Brown by the time... Last thing I heard from them was "Ghost Sonata".

Do you know Blancmange? They were around at the time, I liked them very much.

I heard some Blancmange, but I only have a couple of their songs in compilations, not full-on albums. The Tuxedomoon catalogue is one of the most elusive and expensive I have encountered. Here in the US, their CDs fetch prices of up to $25.00 new, but there are a few that circulate more than others. I only have Solve Et Coagula (their best hits compilation) and Holy Wars, which was probably their most mainstream album. I also have a Blaine Reininger solo album, The More I Learn, The Less I Know (I think that's what it's called...). I wish they'd still do gigs here in the states since their music transcends age boundaries - they could be 60 years of age and still belt out "Bonjour Tristesse" or "L'Etranger" without looking out of place :headphones:

I think the price for a record of TM is really high... I don´t know what they do now, but they are very European, I can understand they are some bizarre band for the States... same as Blancmange...or even Cabaret Voltaire, Durruti Column... By that time I ended listening to Phillip Glass or back to my oldies...

I flat out made fun of and hated the Tijuana Brass for years but a couple months back I heard one of their songs on the radio and found myself not only tapping my toes but humming along with it. A couple days later went out and bought a greatest hits cd. Of course most of us teenage boys had the Whipcream album and it didn't matter if you liked the music or not! A classic cover.

WIGGLES FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

Wiggles *do* rock and I am not ashamed to admit it. I would love to go to one of their concerts and I would push all the little kids out of the way to get in the front row!! And, hopefully get Anthony's autograph! ::

Atta gal Amy, come out of that closet. I like their "I Love It When It Rains" and "Food food food (oh how I love my food)".

Ok, time for confession? I've never said that I hated or disliked it but neither do I tell anyone how much I like it. Until now! Sugar by The Archies (Ron Dante). I always find myself singing along and hiney dancing when I hear it. So sue me! I like it, I like it!!

I also like Wadsworth Mansion's "Sweet Mary", Vanity Faire's "Hitching A Ride" and The Kingsmen's "Jolly Green Giant". Did I mention Linda Scott's "I've Told Every Little Star"? Also had a crush on her when this song came out. Such a cutie. I can't leave out Lio's "Banana Split" (Amy, edna, Gilian and Mairi will love this one) and 1910 Fruitgum Company's "Simon Says".

Ahhhh, confession's good for the soul.

Piece of bubblegum anybody?

Yes, I love bubblegum music... Fortunes, Middle of the Road, etc... just for fun... My favorites are Dusty Springfield, Lulu or Sandie Shaw... not much bubblegum, but yes from time to time!

Say hello to Sophia!

Dusty is probably the #1 Blue-eyed soul(bes) singer ever.

Lulu should've pursued her singing career more aggresively. She too is a great bes singer. I love her "Me Oh My, I'm A Fool For You Baby".

And Sandy Shaw....I'm her puppet. Is she still recording?