Concert Conflict

ImThatGuyToo

OK here's the thing. Both Bob Dylan and the Beastie Boys are coming to my area on November 5th. I haven't seen either in concert. I know all the Beastiy Boys' songs and I have been a lifelong fan, and I love their new album. I have dabbled in Bob Dylan and he fits in more with the classic rock genre that I find comfort in. Money doesn't play a role, as both concerts are the same amount (~$40). What do I do? I really want to see the Beastie Boys because I'm excited for their new stuff, and I've heard they're really good live. Conversly, I've heard Bob Dylan is terrible live, but since he's older, who knows how long he'll tour? These are the tribulations of a young classic rock star who's grown up in the 80's/ 90's.... Please advise.

80 bucks will get you into both. You don't got $80? I'd go wit the Beasties. Actually, I've heard from people who've gone to see these artists that both aren't good live (at least this time around the Beasties weren't that good...). If you're a long-time Beasties fan, then go with that.

Well, since they're both the same day, I'd say go with the one you want to see the most. Sounds to me as if you want to see the BBs. If you don't, you'll regret it for a long time. It'll be one of those things "Man, I had a chance to see the Beastie Boys and I didn't go" Can you live with that?

I tend to agree with Jrow. It seems from your post that you are a big Beastie Boys fan as opposed to Dylan who you have dabbled in. I have never seen either but Dylan is past his heyday. Back in the 70's I had a chance to see Dylan when he did his Hurricane tour and I flatly turned it down.

You really need to acquire a taste for Dylan if you plan on sitting through one of his concerts. The Beastie Boys will get you up and dancing in the aisles, hence you being a big fan I believe hands down you will enjoy yourself more. Get yourself a few Dylan albums (if you haven't yet), find a rainy day, turn up the volume on your speakers (hope you have surround sound), sit back with a beer and then enjoy the concert you will miss.

Have a good time whatever your choice is!

Thanks everyone for all the feedback, I appreciate it. When I look at the message boards as a whole, classic rock seems to be the mainstay in topic discussions. From people that all take an active role in those threads telling me to go see Beastie Boys over Dylan says something. So, I've decided to see the Beastie Boys instead, because I don't want to miss an opportunity like that... A friend of mine's mom had tickets to see Led Zeppelin at Cobo Hall in Detroit during what would be their last American tour, and chose not to go because she had an exam the next day... Talk about a missed opportunity there. So, thanks again for the advice.

It sounds as if you'd rather see the Beastie Boys. I say go for it, because who knows how long THEY'LL be around. Their fifteen minutes should have been over around 2002.

15 minutes? More like 15 years, actually over 20 now. I remember "She's on It" back in '84, all the way til today. I've seen their newest video & it looks like they're trying to cover up their age, wrinkles, & bald heads.