a slow song....modern

musicista11

i hear this song at work on the muzak, but being that i'm at work, i can't really pay attention to the lyrics. it's slow, kind of dreary. the first couple of measures are all piano. all these measures sound exactly the same. i'm pretty sure as far as scale degrees go, the order is 1,2,1,3,2,1, but as far as what those notes are, i have no idea, but their relatively low, i would think around middle c. it has a male vocal and then breaks for an instrumental in the middle which sounds like a piano and maybe a clarinet or other woodwind instrument.

and that's all i know. please help if you can. it sounds like the perfect song to listen to if it's raining and you're tired. :help:

I'm not sure because I have no idea about scale degrees or anything like that, but by your description, it could be a Bruce Hornsby song. Check out "The Way It Is" or "Mandolin Rain". These are older songs..late '80's maybe.

For a modern song with a lot of piano, maybe Seal's "Love's Divine"

Hope that helps.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say you're hearing "The Scientist" by Coldplay. It runs the same 4 chords through the first half of the song, then breaks out some drums and a couple other instruments about halfway through... and I know it has an instrumental bit at around the halfway point.

If you hear it again, listen for "Don't tell me you love..." and "Oh take me back to the start".