Best Comeback?

MindCrime

What band's comeback would you pick as the best or most successful after having a long time away from the spotlight.

For me... Pink Floyd in 1987 with Momentary Lapse of Reason, even though it was mostly a David Gilmour solo album. It was 7 years since The Wall & they finally remarked the same creativity that they once showed. Underrated by both critics & fans, this was still one of their strongest points.

I tried to search for this topic, & it surprisingly never came up.

Elvis' '68 TV Special.

Just when everyone had written him off and he seemed doomed to make bad hot rod and beach movies for the rest of eternity... he was back looking mean, moody & magnicent in black leather!

It catches him just at the point before he became a Vegas act in sparkly jumpsuits. The 68 special is easily available on video. If you've never seen it, and think he never did anything good after he was drafted into the army, then do yourself a favour and check it out. He looks and sounds great, and is given the chance to sing the songs he really loved, those of his youth rather than dumb film tunes. Superb!

Elvis' '68 TV Special.

Just when everyone had written him off and he seemed doomed to make bad hot rod and beach movies for the rest of eternity... he was back looking mean, moody & magnicent in black leather!

It catches him just at the point before he became a Vegas act in sparkly jumpsuits. The 68 special is easily available on video. If you've never seen it, and think he never did anything good after he was drafted into the army, then do yourself a favour and check it out. He looks and sounds great, and is given the chance to sing the songs he really loved, those of his youth rather than dumb film tunes. Superb!

I didn´t see the TV special, by that time I was a teen and living in Argentina. But I remember all the comments about it. What songs did he sing by that time? I love "The wonder of you", "Suspicious minds" or "You don´t have to say you love me", but I guess these were songs from his Vegas&suits...I can´t check records nor books because (sigh...) I´m moving on and my things are packed until I finally settle down. If you know more about this, please let me know.

I was only seven in 1968 and it wasn't shown here in England anyway, so I 've only become familiar with it since. I like him , but wouldn't call myself a huge Elvis fan...but you can't help but love him in this show, and its easy to see what all the fuss was about back in 1958 !!

Apparently, his manager Colonel Tom Parker wanted him to appear in a baby blue tuxedo singing Christmas Carols!!! I'm pleased Elvis decided against that!

• 2 weeks later...

Elvis' '68 TV Special.

I need not add a thing except what always gets me is the womens' reactions

in the audience of the '68 Comeback Special. I swear, he could've...well, let's

just say he had 'em eating out of his hand.

Nobody captivated like he did.

• 2 months later...