Interesting Music Theory Question

chanting monk

This is a question for all of you who are well versed in musical theory. If you are not I would still appreciate your input.

1) Bow (violin)

2) Pluck (guitar)

3) Blow (trumpet)

4) Struck (timpani)

All sound is a result of one of these actions.

Now to my question: : When you quickly move an object through the air, there is a 'swish' sound. Which one of the 4 causes of sound would this come under?

I think that it is sound resulting from #4 (struck)

My music theory teacher thought that it might be #3 (blow)

My entire music theory class is divided on this question.

What action do you think causes this sound to be produced (bow, pluck, blow, struck)?

This is a question for all of you who are well versed in musical theory. If you are not I would still appreciate your input.

I?ll give you my probable thesis, to naively answer your question, I would assume that a concoction of bow + struck would implicate this effect, at least for the active purpose.

3. Blow...because by moving the object through the air you are forcing air into/against the object causing the swish sound.

if i may, i believe that "blow" is not correct..the answer would be "strike"...when the drum is struck...you displace air molecules and get vibration, thus the sound...

the same with "swish"...you are displacing air molecules, thus getting vibration and a swishig sound...

of course, i'm nothing more than an "arm chair" musician with no professional/educational training...my hypothesis is basic common sense... ;)

if i may, i believe that "blow" is not correct..the answer would be "strike"...when the drum is struck...you displace air molecules and get vibration, thus the sound...

the same with "swish"...you are displacing air molecules, thus getting vibration and a swishig sound...

of course, i'm nothing more than an "arm chair" musician with no professional/educational training...my hypothesis is basic common sense... ;)

Blowing also displaces air molecules, causing vibration, thus sound. That's how all of these work.