what's your G.W.A.M.

rkfan413

Back when I was playing the piano on a regular basis and when my brain was working in gear enough to think of sentences ten words at a time, or, for that matter, I'm copying something which is being dictated to me, I used to be able to average around 100 WPM for twenty minutes or more. I once set myself a task to write a 25,000 word essay which I completed in just under 29 minutes.

That said, with my new computer, comes a new, singlehanded keyboard, which I am not so good at using. These 100+ figures are from using my two-handed keyboard. I now have a slightly more tricky to use one-handed keyboard which isn't half as responsive when I use my fourth finger on P, L and M.

I don't know what I'd average out at on this new keyboard, though. I gotta get started playing Typer Shark again, I guess!

Love and mercy

Well I started typing this at noon, so that should give you an idea.

Ha ha ha...thats' a good one. :: I type >100 + wpm -- been typing for (too many) years, but I do have those 'hunt and peck' days where I misspell a lot, have to back space, and swear at the keyboard when it is clearly my fault. :laughing: The one word I find that I most often screw up on is the word 'because' - typing it as 'becuase'.

I wonder if it matters anymore if people can type as long as they are computer literate. When I was a secretary (1989 - 1999), typing was a big part of the job, but knowing Word, PowerPoint and Excel (in the 1990's) was even more important. Now Excel is mainly what I use, but the exerience and knowledge of the other apps is still with me.

From the 1950's - 1970's - even into the 1980's, it was very important that women could type. Mom's used to tell their daughters to, "learn to type" so they'd have something to "fall back on". How antiquated that seems today! Of course back then secretaries fetched coffee; don't try that now: some femi-nazi might open a can of whoop a$$. ::

Eveyone has their own typing technique; if anyone took typing in high school, they likely don't type at all the way they were taught to. Is typing class even required in high school nowadays? The last time I used a typewriter at the office was to type up an address label.

I've got Popeye index fingers. Maybe I should get wittle anchors tatooed on 'em.

Doing this would contradict itself in its own right, I couldn't imagine a typist wanting to tattoo his/her fingers, unless they planned on not using a keyboard for the next week or two. 33.gif

Doing this would contradict itself in its own right, I couldn't imagine a typist wanting to tattoo his/her fingers, unless they planned on not using a keyboard for the next week or two.

My whole post was a contradiction. ::

1. If I had Popeye index fingers they'd be really huge, so, even if I was fast typing with only index fingers I'd be slowed down because of constantly correcting double types.

2. If I had Popeye index fingers they'd be so strong they wouldn't know their own strength so I'd be constantly replacing keyboards instead of posting.

3. The wittle anchor tattoos was just sarcasm revealing my distaste for tattoos.

4. I've much time on my hands, thus the explanation.

5. Maybe I should have said Speedy Gonalez index fingers but that's another story.

:P

I´m a journalist...I write full speed with two, three or four fingers (one or two per hand)

I agree, it IS faster (and I was a secretary)! I developed a habit of typing just as you described because it was more comfortable (no carpal tunnel yet), and it got me around the keyboard easier. Katharine Gibbs would pitch a hissy! ::

Hey, no boss ever stands over anyone to be sure fingers and hands are in proper typing position - as long as the job is done, it's all good. :laughing:

I agree, it IS faster (and I was a secretary)! I developed a habit of typing just as you described because it was more comfortable (no carpal tunnel yet), and it got me around the keyboard easier. Katharine Gibbs would pitch a hissy! ::

Hey, no boss ever stands over anyone to be sure fingers and hands are in proper typing position - as long as the job is done, it's all good. :laughing:

You said it, Catherine: faster, no carpal tunnel, and once I was a secretary, my boss stared at me and said: "It´s amazing, you´ve been my secretary for two years, the best I ever had and I just realized you tape with just three fingers!!!"

As for accuracy, I´m very very good... I srwae Im a, idnede!!