Lets See: Buy this or shove hot pokers in my ears?

scott

Good Charlotte Takes on 'Life and Death'

Sat Oct 2, 6:09 AM ET Entertainment - Reuters

By Margo Whitmire

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - "I wear black on the outside because that's how I feel on the inside," Good Charlotte's Joel Madden deadpans when describing his romantic outlook.

Though it's surprising to hear the lead singer of a multiplatinum pop/punk band with a heavy female following quote Morrissey, it's this darker theme that drives the group's third Daylight/Epic Records effort, "The Chronicles of Life and Death," due in stores Oct. 5.

The band's signature backdrop of heavy drums and bouncing guitars is in place for the 14-track set, recorded during seven months in Los Angeles. But elements of British punk and arena rock showcase the group's changing style.

"It was where we had to go as a band. We couldn't remake our last album as much as some people might have wanted us to, or expected us to," Madden says. "Our fans just want us to be honest, and that's an ongoing theme throughout this record. The music is the natural progression of changes we've gone through, but I don't think it's so far-fetched where (our fans) won't accept it."

In 2002, Good Charlotte rocketed to the forefront of the pop/punk world with its sophomore effort, "The Young and the Hopeless." The album bowed at No. 7 on the Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 117,000 copies, while hit singles "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous," "Boys and Girls" and "Anthem" boosted the former modern rock band into mainstream top 40 territory.

With MTV's "Total Request Live" crowd behind it, the album has gone on to sell 3 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The album has remained on the Billboard 200 since its debut.

"Originally it's the only thing we could play," Madden says of the group's sound, which is heavily influenced by pop/punk acts like Green Day and Rancid. "That's always going to be an element of our music because that's part of who we are as a band, but (on "The Young and the Hopeless") we were a lot younger and had a lot to prove."

'ANOTHER LEVEL'

With such songs as "The Truth" and "Ghost of You" -- a rocking retrospective penned by guitarist/keyboardist Billy Martin -- the new album delves into darker waters lyrically than previous efforts, though first single "Predictable" showcases the frenetic energy and rousing choruses that have made Good Charlotte a crossover success.

"They've retained their roots," says executive VP of worldwide A&R for Sony Music U.S. and International David Massey, who signed the group to his Epic imprint Daylight for its self-titled 2000 debut. "People who love them from the first album will absolutely love this record, but it widens them significantly and definitely puts them on another level."

The new album will be available in two versions: a "life" version and a "death" version, each featuring a different bonus track and cover illustration by Martin.

The Waldorf, Md., quintet will head out on a co-headlining tour with fellow pop/punk band Sum 41. The jaunt kicks off Oct. 21 at Seattle's Paramount Theater. The outing includes acts Hazen Street and Lola Ray, both of which are signed to the Madden brothers' DC Flag Records.

"Those bands have a lot of potential, and I'm really excited to see them grow over the next couple of years," says Madden, who adds that DC Flag is a work in progress. "We're years away from being where we want to be, but good things take time, and we're willing to put in the time and work to grow it."

Regarding his band, he says: "we're so much happier right now than we've ever been. We keep growing and getting even happier, and we're so excited to be playing music together right now, because we really did get to try new things. It's a good time to be in Good Charlotte."

Reuters/Billboard

/story

Yup, I choose hot pokers.

Let's put it to a poll, shall we?

Buy GC or ...

shove hot pokers in ears

shove gluteus maximus plugs in ears

shove flaming rolled up copies of Teen People in ears

I like totally am so in love with GC and I think you all just really suck for being so mean...they are like the greatest punk rockers EVER because they wear black nail polish and mascara. Benji is so fine you guys!

I've never heard them but:

Good Charlotte rocketed to the forefront of the pop/punk

With MTV's "Total Request Live" crowd behind it

heavily influenced by pop/punk acts like Green Day and Rancid

and finally:

I wear black on the outside because that's how I feel on the inside

I'll say sunday papers soaked on Tabasco and bleach hammered into my ears.

I was so excited about my cleverness in posting the poll that I forgot to put the submit button. I tried to edit it, but because there was a poll in the post, I couldn't. Then I tried to fix it, but intercoursed it up...thus the deleted post. I think I like everyone's explanation better than just reading the results, though.

I think I'd listen to the CD over the hot pokers, because the CD is only 16 dollars, which will give me a good laugh and a miniature frisbee. The hospital bill for the hot pokers would be much higher price, much less funny, and no frisbee.

It is funny how he thinks this is a huge step and everything for them. I wouldn't know, I haven't listened, but I'm sure its just like everything else they've done, except whinier and more egotistical.