How long do you plan to stay?

Aunt_Acid

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed a change in the six months I have been on - when I joined it was very much a 'Stairway to Heaven v Freebird' discussion group (I know other topics were discussed, but I really did think it had this emphasis). It has opened up since, to include discussions on religion, politics and downright smut and perversion. I personally think it has changed for the better, as it enables people who like music to talk about all sorts of issues that touch each other's lives, whilst maintaining the musical undercurrent.

With regard to the 'popularity contest' concern, this is just human group dynamics at work, no different to any other social group and consequently unavoidable. This effect is cyclical, and one always has the choice whether or not to participate. In any social group people will bond through a system of compliments and mutual ego-massaging, and this is a large part of the reason why we as animals chose to communicate with others - it makes us feel good about ourselves. As I said before, it is cyclical as group members useage depends upon all sorts of factors such as work/domestic pressures and interest span, so like the British weather if you don't like it just wait 10 minutes and it will change!

As for a perceived downturn in intellectual standards, I don't think this has happened, its just that the subject matter tends to the base on occasion. Its all about how it is done, and I think it is done in a manner that whilst often crude, generally avoids the downright offensive. Too many knob gags? Depends upon your sense of humour I suppose, and there is always a choice of forums if a particular one doesn't interest.

Just rambling.

Regards

With regard to the 'popularity contest' concern, this is just human group dynamics at work, no different to any other social group and consequently unavoidable. This effect is cyclical, and one always has the choice whether or not to participate. In any social group people will bond through a system of compliments and mutual ego-massaging, and this is a large part of the reason why we as animals chose to communicate with others - it makes us feel good about ourselves. As I said before, it is cyclical as group members useage depends upon all sorts of factors such as work/domestic pressures and interest span, so like the British weather if you don't like it just wait 10 minutes and it will change!

Point made and point taken.

=:P

:laughing:

Diggs, I love it when you spew rubbish! And Earth Angel, I know what you mean about popularity contests. When I first came here I felt like the new kid, but I just kept posting until I finessed my way in. Sometimes it may seem like certain people post to only a few members, but I think a lot of that is because they are on the boards at the same time. I try to make everyone feel welcome, and I think almost everyone else does, too. We are a large, dysfunctional family...but we always need new brothers and sisters. ::

Oh, and to answer the question, I ain't never leaving! :jester:

• 3 years later...

Haha yeah, honestly, I don't know who is who anymore. Who is here from the old days just with a different name. I know a few, like you Carole, XXX, PinkFloyd1972. Anybody else I should be aware of?

Oh btw, I talked to Mairi on facebook, and she said she might come back.

Oh and also, I never got the chance to thank whoever found that gay pride avatar for me.

Haha yeah, honestly, I don't know who is who anymore. Who is here from the old days just with a different name. I know a few, like you Carole, XXX, PinkFloyd1972. Anybody else I should be aware of?

Oh btw, I talked to Mairi on facebook, and she said she might come back.

Oh and also, I never got the chance to thank whoever found that gay pride avatar for me.

:doh: I've been wondering about that avatar, and why it said Pride... I never got the gay bit. :P