Best comedian - stand up

Earth-Angel

Just wondering which stand up comedians other members enjoy. I'm busy watching Lee Evans live at Wembly and he's pretty funny - Monkeyboy as he calls himself.

What makes a comedian funny to you? Is it the originality of their jokes, or the way they tell them or is it the overall routine? I quite enjoy comedians that don't rehash old jokes, but personalise their routine, not the usual "my wife" jokes - but things that have happened to them in the last week or so. Also comedians who joke about the everyday things we find funny, something that we all have in common.

Anyway, if you like a comedian that jokes about anything and everything that's not rehashed over and over ad nauseum, and don't mind a bit of swearing (mainly only the *f* word) and a guy that sweats profusely (seriously, it literally pours off of him), then check out Lee Evans.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say.... George Carlin, I liked his more controversial taglines from the 70's, most of everything he's done since then, has been mostly typecasted material.

A few others that I like are: Steve Wright, he's funny, but for only so long, then I begin to think he's taken too much Valium & needs to get some sleep. Sam Kinison was funny in the 80's, but he got annoying very quickly. The same for Gallagher, his watermelon smashing was funny the first time around, but then they played it over & over again. Dave Chappelle does a pretty funny impression of him in one of his skits. pink hearts, yellow moons, green clovers and orange stars...that leprechaun is on acid.....he's crazy..he's crazy....he's crazy like meeeeeeeee. :laughing:

:laughing:

I don't know the guy's name, but he's got long hair and wears these yellow aviator glasses. He said he was camping with his girlfriend and they got into a fight, so he stormed out of the tent and pulled the zipper up really, really fast.

Pretty funny.

I used to have all of Cosby's stuff on album. Cheech and Chong, as well.

"Noah"

"WHAT? What do you want?"

"You've got two males there, you gotta take one of them back and get a female."

"I'm not takin' nothin' back...you change one of em!!"

I just saw the movie Commedian last week. It's a great rental if you are into stand up commedy and can tollerate Jerry Seinfeld. The guy who Seinfeld and Chris Rock say puts them to shame is...

Bill Cosby.

I think Eddie Murphy said something similar. I've felt so bad for Bill Cosby since the loss of his only son. Before the tragic murder, he always spoke of his family and I always knew his deep devotion to being a parent.

I truly believe the greatest tragedy in this life is the loss of a parent's child.

No, it's not Bruce Vilanch. Nothing funny about that guy. Plenty of things that are creepy, though.

He belongs in the 15 minutes of fame thread. Who is that guy, and why is he still on tv? How did he ever get on tv, for that matter?

Agreed. I think he's on Hollywood Squares & he never makes me laugh, same with Whoopi Goldberg. He's also a head writer of the Gay & Lesbians Comedy Club :doh:

Just this morning, I saw an old HBO "Sixth Annual Young Commedians Special" from around 1980(??). The Smothers Brothers were the hosts, and the young comedians included the following, in order:

1. Jerry Seinfeld

2. Maureen Murphy(??)

3. Harry Anderson

4. Rick Overton

5. Richard Lewis

6. Howie Mandel

These guys were pretty funny, and that Maureen person may have been funnier than all of them. Seinfeld sucked, of course. It was a good show, though. I would recommend it.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A few lines from Jim Gaffigan: (religious ones)

Ever wonder what people got Jesus for Christmas? It's like 'Oh great, socks. You know I'm dying for your sins right? Yeah, but thanks for the SOCKS. They'll go great with my sandals. What am I, German?'"

"I have trouble even remembering the prayers...Our Father, Who Art in Heaven without the approved written consent of Major League Baseball."