Best comedian - stand up

Earth-Angel

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up listening to Jonathan Winters and Bill Cosby. I thought they were very funny and they kept it clean humor. I liked George Carlin in his early years when he was doing the Hippy Dippy Weather Man routines. He was very funny without being vulgar. I am certianly not a prude, but some of the stuff that Carlin does now days is way over the top for me personally. I saw Carlin in concert a few years ago and although I stayed for the entire show many folks got up and left.

I also enjoy Billy Crystal who by the way attended Marshall U. for a couple of years.

A few of you may remember a Saturday morning character on TV in the 60's by the name of Soupy Sales. His humor bordered on the line of slap stick and sophisticated. A lot of times his skits had hidden messages that young kids wouldn't pick up on. Soupy by the way is from my home town of Huntington.

I also really enjoyed Johnny Carson's monolouges and all of the chararcters that Johnny played. In my opinon these late night guys now days can't match up to Carson. Johnny could make me laugh just by his facial expressions alone. The night that Ed Ames threw the tomahawk is priceless. Johnny's expression alone was worthy of the TV Hall of Fame if there is such a thing.

rtstuff

Heeeeeeeeeeer's Johnny. Ed McMahon

rt - I remember Soupy Sales! But I must be one of the ones who was too young to understand the double entendres, because I certainly don't remember that...

You must also remember, then, the Smothers Brothers? I think they were from around that time, too... I have an old reel-to-reel with one of their shows taped, and they still crack me up when I listen to it. :grin:

It might be an acquired taste, but I really loved Sam Kinison. That guy made my sides split.

My favorite Jim Gaffigan line:

"I like coffee. You know what's addictive? Heroin."

I love Jim Gaffigan's lines about unhealthiness and stuff:

"Apparently you're not supposed to drink booze in the morning...and you're never supposed to smoke crack! What am I, training for the Olympics? If I like to end my day with a crackpipe, does that make me a crackhead?"

"Rum cake makes sense, because sometimes I'll be eating cake and I'll think 'you know what would go great with this? Booze.' I mean, I've only got two hands, people. And one of them's holding a cigarette. C'mon, meet me half way."

I have to say that Steven Wright and Mitch Hedberg are the kings of one liners.

My favorite Steven Wright line: "I just installed a skylight in my ceiling. The people who live in the apartment above me are furious!"

Some good ones from Mitch Hedberg (RIP)

"I just got a club sandwich today, but I don't know how, cuz I'm not even a member."

(on his job as a comedian) "I sit around in my hotel room, and if I think of something that's funny, I have to write it down. If the pen isn't already on the couch, then I have to convince myself that what I thought of was not funny."

(on the Doubletree Motel) "I bet there was a meeting when they were deciding what to name the hotel. 'How about the Tree Motel?' 'No way.' 'How about the Doubletree Motel?' 'Hell yeah! Meeting adjourned!'"

"Do not disturb signs have not fully embraced the contraction. They're misleading...you'll be reading it, and you'll think 'do...alright, maybe I'm gonna be able to disturb this guy. not...s***! I need to learn to read faster!'"

And I just saw a hilarious comedian today. His name was Brian Regan. Great stuff! He had a great line about waiters commenting on your choices.

"I'll have a coke"

"Excellent decision sir"

"(looking smug) Well, buckle up for the side order...French fries."

"Incredible decision sir."

I wonder if they ever think you made a bad choice?

"And to drink I'll have a coke"

"Ooh! Sub-par decision there. That's a tough break"

Shawna, wasnn't it on the Smothers Brothers show that the Who's Keith Moon caught the stage on fire with his pyrotechnic drum solo?

Do you remember how someone would knock on Soupy's door and he would go to the door and carry out a conversation with the person and you would never actually see who he was talking to.

This actually happened, he went to the door and answered it to a very startled expression. Soupy had this big grin on his face, but was absolutely speechless. What the audience didn't know at the time was that soupy was face to face with a topless young lady. I have heard Soupy tell this story many times here in his home town.

The show where Soupy gets into a pie throwing contest with Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis is hillarious.

rtstuff

Ellen DeGeneres She finds humour in everyday things and manages to be funny without being vulgar or offensive.

Rowan Atkinson - best known for his Mr. Bean characterization and his hilarious Blackadder series, he is also a very good stand-up comedian.

Lewis Black - I have only seen him twice, but he cracked me up both times.

Jeff Foxworthy

Bob Newhart - The king of the pregnant pause and the stutter. His early comedy albums were priceless.

I don't like the new "breed" of vulgar comedien/ne. I don't find it funny tbh. There is so much to use for brilliant material, yet people fall back on toilet and sexual humour to get an embarressed laugh out of an audience. Mostly they're not laughing because it is funny, judging by the amount they are blushing and squirming in their seats! :doh:

Do you remember how someone would knock on Soupy's door and he would go to the door and carry out a conversation with the person and you would never actually see who he was talking to.

This actually happened, he went to the door and answered it to a very startled expression. Soupy had this big grin on his face, but was absolutely speechless. What the audience didn't know at the time was that soupy was face to face with a topless young lady.

Yes, I remember that routine! I also have seen on those "outtakes" shows the same episode you're talking about... it's hysterical!

My mom always had a problem with the whole pie-in-the-face thing. Didn't he do that at least once per show? I remember her commenting at some point on how old it was getting.

CanAm mentioned Jeff Foxworthy - he's great! - but my favorite guy on the Blue Collar Comedy Tour is Ron White. None of those guys falls back to toilet or sexual humor. For the most part, their stuff is pretty intelligent, IMHO. But then maybe that's because I'm so not. :crazy:

After Shawna's post about how she likes the Blue Collar Comedy group, this might be the wrong time to say this but...my least favorite comedian of all time is Larry the Cable Guy. I can't understand a word that guy says most of the time. But when I can, it's usually the kind of immature joke I used to hear from my pals in 3rd grade. Plus, he still makes jokes about Britney Spears. Britney Spears! She's so passe. Who jokes about her anymore? I also don't like how he ends all of his jokes with "I don't care who you are, that's just funny" because it really takes away from the humor...or, if there was any humor to begin with, that line would take it away. Laughing at your own jokes is not funny. Which is why Jimmy Fallon is another bad comedian, but that's a different story.

In conclusion, Jim Gaffigan is hilarious.

...my least favorite comedian of all time is Larry the Cable Guy.

You're right with that one, Batman. He's my least favorite of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour. His style of funny is for what I call "good ol' boys" ~ and by my definition, "good ol' boys" is not at all good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...