I call them the Country /Rock Smoothies!

Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between the following groups:

1. The Eagles

2. The Marshal Tucker Band

3. America

4. The Outlaws

5. Poco

6. The Nitty Grity Dirt Band

Let me know your thoughts, and if you can add to the list let the music live!

I'm with you - and add .38 Special to the list.

I think The Eagles have a much more distinctive sound that the others, so I can always tell them apart. Especially on songs Don Henley sings.

Those bands on the list are not bad, just not particularly distinctive. Every now and then, one of them will let loose a really good song. I'm a big fan of Marshall Tucker's "Heard It In A Love Song" and The Outlaws' "Green Grass And High Tides."

I think Lynyrd Skynyrd would also fit into this group. They are a great band, one of my favorites. I think they lean more toward southern rock than anything. I dont know if they are exactly smooth or not, but they have a lot of variety in their songs. :thumbsup: :guitar:

Jason and Carl; You both put up good posts! Jason you are definately right about Lynard Skynard, but did you know, and if you listen they are a Allman Brothers copy to a certain extent? Focus on their live performances. I believe no-one jams live like the "Allman Brothers". Being a guitar player myself, I dig a band that can hold it together for better than most of us, and it still sounds good!

Carl; 38' Special is an Awesome band and diserves its place in history. Their unique addition to southern rock is definitely destined for the "Rock-N-Roll hall of fame". A little late on the scene, 38 Special seems like a knock off of the Lynard Skynard bands hit "Mr. Saturday night Special", but at the same time they are definately original to the art, but clearly influenced by LS. (If I'm wrong, correct me with your reply!). Thanks, CHAFF.

The Allman Brothers were the first to use off octive dual lead guitars. Additionally, the band had two drum players. The band fealt that a full rich sound added to their music. It was Lynard Skynard that copied this sound, bent it, and shaped it to their own. L.S. also was the second band to use dual lead guitars. Who knows, perhaps someone obscure did it before both of these bands. 38 Special is a great band, and brought to the scene their influence, and quite good I might add, but they were influenced and copied the aforementioned groups. If I am lieing I'm a be dien. Thanks, CHAFF. p.s. just my take on it, feel free to put in your dimes, quarters, dollars, half dollars or gold eagles worth.

Denmark, I recall Little Feet. That's a great connection. I'd be interested in you refreshing my memory on some song titles they did though. The only thing I can remember is likeing them, but I sit here wondering what they did. Thanks, CHAFF.

There are so many great Little Feat tracks that its hard to know where to begin, but here's a few of the very best:

Dixie chicken, Rock & roll doctor, Oh Atlanta, Feats don't fail me now, All that you dream, Willin', Fat man in the bathtub, Rocket in my pocket,.... there's a very good greatest hits album called "As time goes by" which contains all of these.

Thanks for the info. Denmark (Richard), I'll insist on going out and purchasing that one. Thanks, CHAFF.

p.s. this is one of the great things about this forum I was hopeing to gain. I have so many albums, tapes, CD's but don't no what is best to add. When some of the CD's cost a pretty good amount, you don't want to be wasting it on music that makes you ashamed to own. Thanks again Richard. Thanks, CHAFF.

I'd like to know viewers opinions on how Country Rock and Southern Rock play into each other? Is there something that indicates that if it's southern it is country associated. Or, does all Country style music come from the south?