your favorites = the best?

Batman

Or Zeppelin, like them, one of the best bands.

Agreed. I'd say the same for Pink Floyd & Rolling Stones, etc. Not because many others enjoy them as well, or have them rated highly for that account, but because they really are gifted musicians. Not every band I listen to, I feel is the best, many I enjoy at different volumes, because they?re what pertains to me, but doesn?t necessarily reflect upon another?s listening tastes. I like many of the bands XXX posted for example, but I don?t feel that they?re the absolute best, even though they have shown that capacity in their specific genres of art.

Yeah, like the Ramones( :(R.I.P.J.) I like them but they certainly aren't the best, they aren't as talented. Now, Pink Floyd is my #1, and I do consider them the best. They have it all. Great bassist, Amazing guitarist, great keyboardist and a gutbusting drummer. They have the lyrics down and they have created musical masterpieces such as The Dark Side Of The Moon.

Rush, too have to be one of the best. Think about it. Best drummer of all-time IMO, Great guitAarist, One of the best bassists, and the singing of course. I guess you like it or you don't.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I love The Doors, Pearl Jam, and The Cult, but I know there are better bands out there than the bands I favor. Some people hate them...that's okay.

Led Zeppelin, Rush and Pink Floyd are such phenomenal bands, and like The Doors, they were ahead of their time, but I do have to admit that Led Zeppelin is a better band than The Doors.

Yes. Everything I like is the best, which is why I like it.

Naturally. Why else would one buy and spend time listening to crap?

I don't like a lot of bands that others consider the best. The stuff I listen to is the best of what I like. Now, if you mean best all around, objectively, you'll hit a wall because it's all judged subjectively. Plus, it's not like you can compare the rawness of Punk with the perfect studio synchronization of ProgRock, so now we have different kinds of "best" and talent.

In the world of Electronica and Futurist-Noise, Cabaret Voltaire are one of the best. You can't be into the genre and not like them or at least own a few of their albums. Same with Depeche Mode. Any SynthPop fan will have most of their albums and like them... and so on and so forth...

I agree with Zack that Dream Theatre are talented, just listen to Mike Portnoy's drum & percussion sessions on any track from Images & Words or Live at Marquee, especially Metropolis :bow:. Petruci (sp?) is one of the best modern day guitarists I've heard, this is an exceptional neoprog band, but I still wouldn't say they're the best.

I didn't just say they were talented. Let me get two things straight.

1) My name is Zach, not Zack.

2) Dream Theater is my FAVORITE band, not my best band ever(IMO.) I have to admit, The Beatles, and Led Zeppelin are the two best bands ever. You can trace almost everything I listen to, back to LZ. And of course, you can trace all the wuss rock bands back to The Beatles.

• 4 months later...

Ramones not the best? I think that they are the top of their style of music. As far as unique sound and influence go, the Ramones ARE the best. You can name lots more bands that the Ramones have influenced than bands Pink Floyd has influenced (not knocking Pink Floyd - they are best at what they do too.)

IMO most of my favourite bands aren't the best for various reasons. nirvana...influential, but ultimately just a garage band. blind molon, crash test dummies, lemonheads, soul asylum, kula shaker...underrated but still not the BEST. in more recent times i like the goo goo dolls... impressive but...

However i believe that u2 and rhcp are incapable of making a bad song!

:beatnik:

Ramones not the best? I think that they are the top of their style of music. As far as unique sound and influence go, the Ramones ARE the best. You can name lots more bands that the Ramones have influenced than bands Pink Floyd has influenced (not knocking Pink Floyd - they are best at what they do too.)

I completely agree with the point about the Ramones... They started punk rock and are the best at their style of music. well said :thumbsup:

The bands i love are considered the greatest:

Beatles- the greatest of all time

Led zeppelin- Probably top 20, or top ten

Jimi Hendrix-Simialr to led zep

Rolling stones- Considered right behind the beatles by man

The Doors- Not always considered top 2o, but for me there top 5

So in general i like the artists who are considered the greatest.