Recommend some good Jazz ?

MindCrime

I started getting into jazz this summer, and now I find it's all around me. Look in your local papers to see if there's a jazz fest or something coming up, there usually is one around. If you're near a college campus it would be much easier to go see their jazz band or whatever. Once you start attending jazz events you get to hear who the musicians are covering, or influenced by, and then you can start getting into that.

I personally went to the Michigan Jazz Festival this summer and saw a few jazz groups, one in particular called the Royal Garden Trio piqued my interest. They were more of a 'gypsy jazz' group, I later came to find out. They were influenced mainly by Django Rhinehardt (sp?) and I started listening to his music and it really amazes me.

So, like I said, just look around and find jazz, and it'll show itself to you, I'm sure. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

This thread drew me out of lurking mode and into the forum so here goes. I've been a jazzer all my life and there's just too much great jazz to say something as simple as Diana Krall or Miles Davis. It would be like somebody replying Beatles to a question about rock. My suggestion is this; even though it was bashed by some jazz purists go to the library and get the DVD of the PBS series called "Jazz" by Ken Burns. It starts out with the pioneers like Armstrong and Beiderbecke goes through the swing era of Goodman, Ellington,Basie, etc. into bop like Miles Davis, Dizzy Gillespie and then post bop modernists. It kind of leaves off at the fusion era and of course there is a lot of great music since then but that should give you some good ideas of what appeals to you. If you're looking for artists who are currently making waves let us know and I can hip you to some of that stuff. :drummer: