Recommend some good Jazz ?

MindCrime

I can only recommend from the little I've listened. There's some new stuff I've been checking out currently. You and I listen to a fair amount of similar music, so try some Chet Baker. I don't know any albums in specific. I have a compilation and that works fine for me right now. I've told Bluesboy that I'm a victim to Verve compilations, but they're the most widespread name in record stores. They have some real cheap compilations where you can find bits and pieces that will strike a chord with you. Try Verve Unmixed volumes 1 and 2. They should cost about 12 bucks together.

Thanks for the quick response Juan, I just may have to look for Chet Baker next time I'm at Zia Records. I'm familiar with the name, but I don't recognize the music off hand. There are sites that allow you to sample an artist's music beforehand to see if it's something you're interested in. This "Verve" you speak of, that wouldn't be the British band would it? or am I thinking of something else?

No. Not the bands with that name, but the record company: Verve

Also, I don't know if you'd be willing to expand to sounds like Lounge music. It's not exactly Jazz, but more like full on orchestras and big band. Think of Henri Mancini, Ray Conniff, and Bert Kaempfert; some people call it "Easy Listening" and sometimes comes off as "muzak", but it's not real muzak! I can recommend that stuff more than I could of bona fide Jazz artists.

Btw, Playboy has a new double-CD compilation that has some great, famous Jazzy tunes. You should check that out along with the Lady Sings The Blues compilations :beatnik:

No. Not the bands with that name, but the record company: Verve

I don't know what I was thinking when I put that in :doh:

I did check out the website though & it looks good.

I would be willing to try out this "Lounge" music, I'm thinking I'll go for a few various artists compilations as well as the classics. This would also be great music for the car, for when I go on dates & such. It would help to set the right romantic tone while driving through the park or the upbeat-lighted downtown area.

I'm vaguely familiar with Miles Davis' music. I've listened to him on several accounts, but not too memorable. I clicked on the link, & listened to some sound samples & it sounds impressive, He really knows his note. I enjoyed "All Blues" the best, it sounds perfect for waiting in a lounge.

While I'm at it, do you know anything a little more upbeat to go along with it?

You might like "Be-Bop" and "Hard Bop" style jazz. Get a best of Charlie Parker CD or Dizzie Gillespie to start with. Also check out Horace Silver, "Cannonball" Adderly, John Coletrane, Sonny Rollins, or for something very unique, check out Thelonious Monk.

If you want to hear a great jazz singer, get one of the "Best Of" cd's of Bill Henderson. He has an individual style of phrasing his vocals in standard songs that is very cool and makes them his own. On a side note, he is also a character actor that has been in many movies and TV shows since the 70's. He still is singing (and acting) in the LA area and in other large cities that have a big jazz crowd.

If we're talking about jazz vocalists, there are some obvious choices:

Ella Fitzgerald: The queen. A gorgeous voice that I never get tired of lstening to. There are many 'best of' collections but I would recommend one of the 'songbook ' series, where she covers the work of a number of great song-writers.

Sarah Vaughan: Only slightly less talented than Ella, she has a powerful but relaxed voice that is unique. Best CD choice is

'Swingin' Easy', which is everything the title says!

Billie Holiday: Her tragic story is well known, and her voice reflected it as she slipped further. Her early recordings are the voice of a hopeful young woman, the later ones are the voice of someone who life has treated very badly. Heart-breaking and emotional, you cannot listen without being effected . My personal favourite is her late 1930s period, but there are many collections available.

Betty Carter: not so 'mainstream', but very enjoyable. She uses the scat method of jazz singing ( lots of "oo-be-do-be-wah" ) and is wonderfully up-beat and fun.

Of the younger, modern day singers, I'd say Cassandra Wilson is particularly good, she has a lovely, velvety voice like liquid honey

First, forget about modern jazz.

Second, stuff like Billie Holiday, Charlie Parker and Thelonius Monk might be too heavy for a new jazz listener.

I suggest starting with something light - Erroll Garner, Oscar Peterson, Ben Webster, Diana Kroll, and definitely Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong (their duets are pretty good, there are also plenty of "Best Of" compilations).

Miles Davies' "Kind of Blue" has already been mentioned, but although its the biggest selling modern jazz album of all time, I wouldn't necessarily say its a good place for a beginner to start. The style is is whats become called "modal jazz" , its cool but its not very representative of most modern jazz.

Miles Davies' best album, IMO, is "Bitches Brew" which is a jazz-rock crossover and is very inventive. Also, try Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters"...very funky.

First, forget about modern jazz.

Woah, bad idea!

The word 'modern' in jazz terms covers pretty much everything from the birth of be-bop onwards. Thats all jazz since the early 1940s...which is a lot of music to be ignoring!!

Be-bop pioneers like Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie would have considered older, New Orleans style musicians like Louis Armstrong or Sidney Bechet as kinda old hat, daddio. :beatnik:

B00006316Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1. Spanish Grease - Willie Bobo

2. How Long Has This Been Going On? - Carmen McRae

3. Who Needs Forever? - Astrud Gilberto

4. Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby? - Dinah Washington

5. Feeling Good - Nina Simone

6. Return to Paradise - Shirley Horn

7. Wait Till You See Her - Ella Fitzgerald

8. Don't Explain - Billie Holiday

9. See-Line Woman - Nina Simone

10. Summertime - Sarah Vaughan

11. Strange Fruit - Billie Holiday

12. Hare Krishna -- Hail Krishna - Tony Scott

Astrud Gilberto's "Who Needs Forever?" is soft and smooth. Like timbral velvet :headphones: Get it at Amazon or at Tower. This one cost me about 6 bucks at Tower, but it was on sale ::

• 4 weeks later...

One group that incorporates jazz into their music is Steely Dan, especially Donald Fagan's solo work (try 1982's The Nightfly or 1993's Kamakiriad). For example, have you ever heard "IGY", "Nightfly", "New Frontier" or "Countermoon", "Springtime", or "Snowbound"?

Check out some of their work. You can definitely hear Brubeck's influence on Fagan's music.

Uncle Joe,

Another 'rock' group with jazz leanings was

Blood, Sweat & Tears.

The self-titled 2nd album('69)

the first with David Clayton-Thomas as vocalist

God Bless the Child

for example

or

John Mayall's - The Turning Point album ('69)

and

Blodwyn Pig 's - Ahead Rings Out album ('69)

had some jazz, but mostly blues-rock