All about Halloween!

Ken

I do a front yard Hallowen display. We usually raise funds for the local Children's burn unit, and everyone has a load of fun. Every year I try to add something to the display, and this year's addition is going to pop some minds. I've built a full sized coffin. This bugger weighs over 350 pounds, lined with 4" foam rubber under blood red satin. I'll be installing a fog machine underneath, and a friend gave me a couple of pretty good speakers. I am open for ideas as to what to put in there, I am dancing with the idea of making myself up as a well rotted corpse, but it's still up in the air. I have no way of posing a photo of the finished product, but if you'd like a look at it, drop me a note, and I'll send it off.

Ken.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, nothing like Halloween and kids. I try to tell mine that they should dress up as witches, ghosts, mummies or anything but cheerleaders, blues clues or scooby doo.

I'm going all out this year too Ken. It probably won't be as elborate as your work but more than just a jack-o-lantern if you know what I mean.

I remember when I was a kid I'd always dress up as scary as I could. But now, parents are so scared that it's not good for children. Weren't they ever children?

Poppycock! What's not good is keeping them from having a "scary silly" good time.

Exactly. I don't understand parents now. They are taking away one of the best holidays for kids! When my kids were young we used to have a haunted house in the basement for the neighborhood kids. They would come for blocks around. We would signel if little ones were coming through, and tone it down for them. My Brother-in-Law works for Six Flags and they always do a big Halloween Haunted house. He "got" one of thier coffins for us, and it was always the hit. It works best with a live body, So you can pop up and scare their little pants off. Good for you Ken and Muzik! :coolio:

In junior high, my friend and I used to set up our annual "Haunted Porch" at his house. It was great fun scaring the little kids. I was very lucky to grow up in a small town in which almost all the homes had kids. Everyone got really into Halloween. I hope it will be like that for my daughter when she is old enough to trick or treat. This is he first Halloween. She will be a lobster.

IMG_1810.jpg

I like the lobster gear!

We don't do Halloween here in the same manner as yourselves. What we get is groups of youths with plastic masks threatening little old ladies with 'trick or treat' japes, for hard cash. Unfortunately smaller kids cannot enjoy this annual event anymore, as the teenage muggers get around first. On Halloween night, beware the spurned teenager and the smouldering roll of newspaper through the letterbox, as it traditionally contains a 'Richard' to be stamped on and spread onto the carpet.

Not like when I was a kid....

Regards

Sadly, my kids are at the cusp of their teenage years, so Halloween won't be as much fun for me in a few years.

They've already informed me that I'm Santa Claus, so the jig is up there, as well.

Oh well, I've had a pretty good run of 10 years, living vicariously through the eyes of my children.

Oh, sorry to hijack, but just the thought of only a few more years of trick or treating made me meloncholy for the days when I brought a wagon along and would have to pull the kids home because "Daddy, I'm tired".

Now I'll have a dormant period while waiting for grandchildren.

I like the lobster gear!

We don't do Halloween here in the same manner as yourselves. What we get is groups of youths with plastic masks threatening little old ladies with 'trick or treat' japes, for hard cash. Unfortunately smaller kids cannot enjoy this annual event anymore, as the teenage muggers get around first. On Halloween night, beware the spurned teenager and the smouldering roll of newspaper through the letterbox, as it traditionally contains a 'Richard' to be stamped on and spread onto the carpet.

Not like when I was a kid....

Regards

I am guessing the most popular costume is to dress as one of Alex's Droogies from A Clockwork Orange so they will look real horrorshow while committing their ultra violence.

I am getting sick of halloween though.

The worst is about to come over the next month or so then. Not me though, I don't think I could ever outgrow this holiday, each year I decorate my house in such an evil fashion, that the neighbors begin to question my abnormal health. I used to keep bloody statues & mannequins out front, it put up an awful fright & terrorized anybody who passed by. I think I still have a picture of it, I need to dig it up & scan it.

• 1 year later...

So I gave myself a topic idea in another thread, and a cursory search didn't turn up a similar one.

This is a two-parter, though of course you may opt out of either part. Or both.

Anyhoo, surely everyone here has dressed up for Halloween, or you still do.

So what do you consider your highlight and your lowlight?

Also, if you want, list the best costume you've seen that - not including your own.

My highlight would be a pimp costume, complete with tight pants and long fur coat. Not very original, but I found some great clothes for it, and a cool cane.

My lowlight would be my Gustav Mahler costume, which was the impetus for this topic. Nobody knew who I was, and the wool suit was quite chafe-y.

The best costume I've ever seen was this guy who wore his normal clothes (shorts/t-shirt), and he tied a dangling potato around his waist. He was a dick-tater.

So have at it.

I do not remember any special Halloween costumes. I do remember one I hated that my oldest sister made for me when I was about 6. It was a patch work clown suit. It was nicely made and the thought was nice, but I have always hated clowns.

I do not dress up anymore, but my daughter does. She was a lobster last year. This year, a bunny. She does not trick or treat yet, but we will accompany her cousins who still do.

All this talk you people have been engaging in about Halloween has been making me have dreams about it! I had a dream last night that all the buildings on the main drag here were all decorated in bats and pumpkins and fake smoke.

I wish we had Halloween here in Australia!! We don't though, and I don't know why. Do the British celebrate it?

Ken, did you make that costume yourself? Because it is magnificent!!!!!

Edited by Guest

I pull out the Santa Claus suit for the weekend Halloween parties.

Once inside and sitting down, I get the ladies to come over and sit on my lap,

then I asked them if they've been naughty or nice this past year.

The majority say they've been naughty...

;):P

Great angle, Bluesboy! I will have to remember that one....

the british seem to celebrate it katie.

in greece we have the carnival that is just before lent starts, my mom use to make me all my costumes and they were always so much better than anyone else who bought them in the shop. i once dressed up as a sailor and went to a friends party and no one knew who i was, it was very cool!i think my fave one was rdessing up as a hippy when i was 12, me and all my girlfriends, and at the school party they teamed us up with the rockers