Best American Band / Artist ?

MindCrime

Does Jimi really count since he did most of his recording in London?

I would think so, since I was referring to American born mostly, & he was signed from Seattle, he later did his recording overseas.

Nice picks by the way Windy, CCR put a standard staple in the history of rock, despite only lasting for a couple of years.

Ma-freakin'-donna :rockon:

We also own all of Jazz, Blues, Motown, DooWop, and R&B, so you can take your pick there :beatnik:

After that, these would be the American artists and bands that rock this world:

Little Richard

Buddy Holly

Elvis Presley

The Beach Boys (and other surfer music that could ONLY come from the USA :headphones: )

The Doors

Aerosmith

Van Halen :rockon:

Metallica :drummer:

Sonic Youth, REM, Beck, and the rest of those slackers are ours too :guitar:

The Vandals, TSOL, D.I., et al... ours too :rockon:

And, last, but not least: *drumroll* :drummer: :drummer:

Chris Isaak :beatnik:

Which album, if you don't mind my asking? I'm going to take the obvious shot in the dark & guess that it was Moving Pictures, which is often referred to as their "Master Piece". IMHO, I feel that Farewell to Kings, really pinpointed their creativity, while Signals showcased their variable ability to differentiate with diverse sound concepts & truly label themselves as Progressive Rock Masters. Moving Pictures is however the best album to recommend to a first time listener, as much as I enjoy Geddy's vocals, I have to go with YYZ as my favorite album track.

My favorite would be Hemispheres as is probably their most cerebral album and is very progressive without being pretentious. Signals and Permanent Waves are way up there too. I would say the best song is Jacob's Ladder or Xanadu. I always thought it would be fun to make an animated video for Xanadu. The Weapon is somewhere there too and so is YYZ and La Villa. From the 90's, Animate. It's safe to say every Rush album is good, although I'm not a huge fan of their post-Presto work, except for a handful of songs.

I thought they were from Toronto.

Just some random thoughts on Rush since I always like to take on the oportunity to talk about them ::

although I'm not a huge fan of their post-Presto work, except for a handful of songs.

I thought Presto mostly sounded like a combination of sleeping filler & was a major let down from Hold your Fire, which was well produced & had many significant trademark Rush songs. A few tracks on there aren't that bad, but with "Show Don't Tell" being the showcase hit, it didn't have much to offer. I was somewhat disappointed when Roll the Bones was released, the title track is good, but the middle section tries to be too experimental, with it's almost rap like tone. A few good songs on it though, I really like Heresy & You Bet Your Life. Afterwards they began to slightly settle into the Alternative genre with Counterparts & Test for Echo, which wasn?t a bad move, since they managed to pull it off without the humiliation that many senior bands often times face when making a alteration.

Yea, Hold Your Fire is far superior than Presto, and probably the last one where all songs are good. Now that I think about it, Presto marked the point where I stopped waiting for the next release. Funny that it was also the last one I bought on vinyl. And sorry if I'm hitting on the obvious, but the song Presto is f__ great :rockon: and The Pass is awesome live :guitar:

Which album, if you don't mind my asking? I'm going to take the obvious shot in the dark & guess that it was Moving Pictures, which is often referred to as their "Master Piece". IMHO, I feel that Farewell to Kings, really pinpointed their creativity, while Signals showcased their variable ability to differentiate with diverse sound concepts & truly label themselves as Progressive Rock Masters. Moving Pictures is however the best album to recommend to a first time listener, as much as I enjoy Geddy's vocals, I have to go with YYZ as my favorite album track.

I haven't heard that one yet. It's a CD called "Retrospective: 1974-1980" and doesn't include any from Moving Pictures. I'm thinking its a greatest hits of that period CD.

The first Retrospect, is a much better recording to start off with IMO. It covers more of Rush's innovative raw material than the second set, however the latter of the two displays their talented experience with synthesizing & producing, as I already mentioned in a previous post.