Songs w/ Wizard of Oz references

Chelle

Hi ?

I am new here (obviously) so please forgive me if this has already been discussed. I searched but was unable to find anything.

My friends and I play a little game where we pick a topic and then make a mix CD with songs about the topic. I am usually pretty good at this game but this one has me stumped. The topic is the Wizard of Oz. I need to find songs that have some lyrical reference to the movie, characters, soundtrack etc. I know the obvious is just to make my CD be Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd but I think that is cheating in our game a bit.

So all I can come up with is

What You Wish For by Guster

Come Downstairs and Say Hello by Guster

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John

I know there has to be references all over the place but I just can't remember any others. Any help would be appreciated.

Tin Man by America

Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead by The Fifth Estate (1967)

Would it be cheating to use this soundtrack

Wiz.jpg

from the movie adaptation of the Broadway show "The Wiz" (1978), an urbanized update of the Wizard of Oz story, with Diana Ross as Dorothy and Wacko Jacko as The Scarecrow. Anybody remember the song Ease On Down The Road ?

In reference to the cheating...

The purpose of our game is to make mix CD's of songs we like and trade, therefore exposing each other to songs or artists we may not discover otherwise. So I think using a single album defeats the purpose of the game but getting help from others is ok. I have a few friends who usually help but we are all kind of stumped. We did decide that if we can find it, a song from the Wiz is allowed. (of course none of us own it so we I am on the lookout for that)

Thanks for all the help so far!

does a munchkin really hang himself in the movie? i've heard lots of people saying that
No. Interesting, the story I heard was it was the director. Anyway, it's an emu or something swaying its head and people thought it looked like someone's body swinging.

Hey Chris...what's the instrument playing at the beginning of "It Can Happen"? Is that a sitar?

Sounds like a sitar to me.

the British indie band Hefner recorded a great song called The Day That Thatcher Dies (about you know who, as if you couldn't guess) and the chorus is 'ding-dong the witch is dead'.

DSOTM - I thought I knew that album inside out but had no idea there was a Wizard of Oz connection - what have I been missing?

Incidentally - there is a dub reggae version of DSOTM called 'Dub Side Of The Moon' which, if you are looking for DSOTM connections that are not just obvious Floyd burns, may give you something a little bit more left-field.

Something I don´t understand. What has to do Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz?

When the original vinyl· release of Darkside of the Moon is played in synchronization with the movie Wizard of Oz, at the 3rd Lion?s roar, the music will go hand in hand with the sequences of the film. It then repeats around approximately 2 ¾ times.

· - The vinyl works better than the CD, unless it?s burned to skip the blank part in between tracks. I tried to do this with a DVD & my .WAV files on my computer; it caused a 5 second delay in the movie.

Also see this thread for answers :coolio: