PSYCHOcatholic

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unrequited_love

No way! There is an entry for it!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE1DB1E3DF93AA35751C0A965958260&pagewanted=2

"There must be a thousand B movies where at first the girl rejects the hero, who persists and wins her in the end. So the would-be lovers just keep trying, like in all those movies."

Hahahah. I watch way too many movies, it seems. I wish I was afflicted with the "pain" of rejecting romantic advances :beatnik:

man, I sure do miss this next lady's true comments...

Pink Monkey:

These components in different combinations create the following types of love:

Infatuation ? passion alone.

Liking ? Intimacy alone; friendships without passion or long-term commitment.

Empty Love ? Commitment alone; decision to love another without intimacy or passion

Fatuous Love ? Passion and commitment; commitment based on passion but without time for intimacy to develop such as a whirlwind courtship

Romantic Love ? Intimacy and passion; lovers are physically and emotionally attracted to each other but are not committed as in a summer romance.

Companionate Love ? Intimacy and commitment; as in a long-term marriage in which the passion has faded.

Consummate Love ? Intimacy, passion and commitment; a complete love consisting of all three components. This is the ideal and the hardest to attain.

When you say "I?m in love!" after the first date or having known the person for just two days, it?s probably not true love but infatuation. Infatuation feels very much like love at first: You are strongly attracted to the person physically and emotionally; and everything about that person is very exciting. However, when the excitement wears off, you will realize that you hardly know anything about the other person.

It?s only when you find out what you like and don?t like about the other person and you still deeply care, respect and want to spend time with that person despite of his or her shortcomings, then you are truly in love.

True love is altogether different in character from love which is awakened by impulse and suddenly dies when severely tested. True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. On the contrary, it is calm and deep in its nature. It looks beyond mere externals and is attracted by qualities alone. It is wise and discriminating, and its devotion is real and abiding.

Two people become acquainted; they are infatuated with each other, and their whole attention is absorbed. Reason is blinded, and judgement is overthrown. They will not listen to any advice or control, but insist on having their own way, regardless of consequence. Like some epidemic, or contagion that must run its course, the infatuation possesses them; and there seems to be no putting a stop to it.

Actually, infatuation and chemistry are essentially the same thing. And they are a very, very long way from real love.

Infatuation has an element of sexual excitement. If you are honest, you can admit it is difficult to be in one another's company unless you are sure it will end - in intimacy.

Love means trust. You are calm, secure and unthreatened. Your partner feels this also, and that makes them even more trustworthy.

Infatuation might lead you to do things you will regret later, but love never will.