RIP Chuck Berry.

Crazy Don

One of the founders of rock. The music is undeniable, but his story is a tough one to tell. He went to jail for transporting a 14-year-old across state lines, an event that, depending on your perspective, either exposed his turpitude or unfairly incarcerated him in a racist railroading. He spent at least a decade denying that he ever went to jail, just one of many obfuscations he delivered in the few interviews he did.

This one hurt plenty, age be damned. Chuck was my first love, my first idol. My Dad bought me my first record, Chuck's "Reelin' 'n Rockin". I was 5 years old. I heard the opening riff of "Johnny B. Goode" and it was all over for me. I felt like I had been plugged in. My parents record collection included Harry Belafonte, and growing up around the Windsor Detroit area, the Big 8, CKLW played the greatest music. At 4 to 5 years old, I knew a couple things. Somehow I knew Otis Redding and Booker T were connected (same band), and Black people made the music I liked. I grew up in the *whitest* Canadian suburb imaginable. I didn't know any black people outside of what I saw on record albums or what I heard on the radio. And Chuck Berry was a *GOD* to me. In school, Kindergarden to grade 1 and 2, the other kids were pretty fast and loose with the "N-word". And it always conflicted me. I wanted to fit in, but the comments were that "they" like fried chicken. It was my favorite meal. "They" liked watermelon. Me too. And I couldn't understand (I was 5, think like a 5 year old) "don't these guys get it? That music is...... I dunno. The best music I've ever heard". Still, to this day. Like Seger says, "All Chuck's children are out there, playin' his licks". I credit my parents for making me who I am. And Chuck Berry. Thanks for the music Chuck. I will love you forever.