Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nominees (that haven't already been spoken for) :

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite is The Incredible Shrinking Dickies, a punk band out of L.A. (I believe)

Hmmmmm... The legendary U.S. punk band THE DICKIES (who made the top ten over here in 1979 with their cover of the "Banana Splits" theme song) released an album entitled "The Incredible Shrinking Dickies" way back when. It's cover showed the band-members surrounded by giant replicas of fairly small everyday objects (wine glass, etc) and one of them is impaled by a giant pencil, if memory serves.

I wonder if this is to whom you are referring. If not, then this other band has been a bit cheeky in their choice of name, I reckon...

'Pukkalips Now'....geddit? Definitely my fave stupid band name....formed from the relics of the redoubtable 'Sniff This' (a play on the transiently famous other band 'Take That')who were, in their turn, derived, in the main, from ex-members of 'Swine Before Pearls' (not to be confused with numerous bands calle Pearls Before Swine...which is altogether less funny and more cliched) who actually contained several members of the 'never to be forgotten' 'Lost Chords'...well, I wont forget them anyway :)

'Pukkalips Now'....geddit? Definitely my fave stupid band name....formed from the relics of the redoubtable 'Sniff This' (a play on the transiently famous other band 'Take That')who were, in their turn, derived, in the main, from ex-members of 'Swine Before Pearls' (not to be confused with numerous bands calle Pearls Before Swine...which is altogether less funny and more cliched) who actually contained several members of the 'never to be forgotten' 'Lost Chords'...well, I wont forget them anyway :)

Don't know about "ridiculous", but these have to be some of the crappest band-names you ever heard, surely? :doh:

So, your old muckers 'Nerve Rack'...where's that stand in the pantheon of shite names then? :)

"On the outside, looking in".

Lou Barlow (Dinosaur Jr, later of Sebadoh) said it was a "cool name".

Come to think of it, I never heard anyone speak disparagingly of the name "Nerve Rack". What's your problem with it?

Incidentally, it's two words, not one, as would be obvious if you looked at any of their album sleeves, CD sleeve, tape covers, etc.

It does appear (erroneously) as a one-word name on the cover of a Fudge Tunnel single, whose B-side is a cover version of the Rack's "Rottweilers".

I think you should note that my question was...well, a question, what with having a question mark after it 'n'all. I was merely enquiring as to (at the risk of repeating myself) where you felt the name Nerve Rack stood in the pantheon of shite names?

I'm still none the wiser, although apparently Lou thinks it's cool...and if Lou thinks its cool then its cool with me :thumbup:

And, at the risk of repeating myself, I answered your question about where I think "Nerve Rack" stands in "the pantheon of shite names", by replying "On the outside- looking in", meaning "not shite, therefore not in the pantheon, etc, etc.".

What's up, johnny? Am I too subtle for ya? :beatnik:

Edited by Guest