Most ridiculous band names

Mike

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The following are all genuine bands from the UK punk/indie scene of the 80s/ early 90s and whose records feature in my own collection:

Foreheads In A Fishtank

Stitched-Back Foot Airman

Archbishop Kebab

The Dog-Faced Hermans

Inspiral Carpets

Terminal Cheesecake

Pregnant Neck

Kitchens of Distinction

Flux of Pink Indians

Rudimentary Peni

Hagar The Womb

Jackdaw With Crowbar

There was also a band around called Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equation: they were probably quite good, but that really is a ridiculous name.

By the way, what's the fuss about "Butthole Surfers". What's so ridiculous about that?

Edited by Guest

my brother's band was called baby in a blender! and there's an irish band kicking about called giveamanakick. and republic of loose, pretty weird name but great band!!

About 20 years ago, I was in a band called "Acid Bath Babies" :blush:

Names based on punchlines from sick baby jokes are just soooooo last century! ;)

Reznor describes the meaning behind the name Nine Inch Nails:

I don't know if you've ever tried to think of band names, but usually you think you have a great one and you look at it the next day and it's stupid. I had about 200 of those. Nine Inch Nails lasted the two week test, looked great in print, and could be abbreviated easily. It really doesn't have any literal meaning.

So...am I missing something? :)

(GordblessWikipedia)

Edited by Guest

johnny and I have been having an "animated debate" over on the "Songs about Sex" forum. I think maybe johnny got confused about which thread he was on. In his defence, however, I can confirm that Stiff Little Fingers ripped their name straight from a track by the Vibrators.

I don't believe there is any intended sexual imagery- tho' possibly in johnny's mind, who knows?- so much as aggressive imagery, as in the "two-finger V-sign". (The bands music publishing co. was called "Rigid Digits")

Certainly the band themselves were pretty much bereft of "sexy attributes" and the music wasn't exactly throbbing with lusty desire.

Stiff Little Fingers has never seemed like a ridiculous name to me...but what do I know?

NB. The two-finger V-sign is now considered passe, having been superseded by the "middle finger salute", fact fans! (This development may symbolise the expansion of an American cultural hegemony)

I don't believe there is any intended sexual imagery- tho' possibly in johnny's mind, who knows?- so much as aggressive imagery, as in the "two-finger V-sign". (The bands music publishing co. was called "Rigid Digits")

Certainly the band themselves were pretty much bereft of "sexy attributes" and the music wasn't exactly throbbing with lusty desire.

You need to write a trashy romance sex scene. :shades: :googly:

Long, long ago, when I just a wee lass, there was a band called Strawberry Alarm Clock. I always thought that was odd. The band that played at my wedding (again, many many moons ago) was called Dick Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.