Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” is the top pick for funeral song

Mike

According to the Daily Mail, pop songs are way more popular than hymns when it comes to picking songs for funerals in 2016. After Frank Sinatra’s “My Way,” “Time To Say Goodbye” by Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman was number two on the list. Rounding out the Top 3 was Eva Cassidy’s, “Somewhere Over The Rainbow.” The results were drawn from a survey of 300 British Co-op funeral directors and 2,000 adults.
And it isn’t just classics that are getting chosen as swansongs. Contemporary pop songs are also being played a lot at funerals as well. The list of sought after funeral songs also includes Robbie Williams, Westlife, Adele, and Rihanna songs. The survey also notes that song choices are also being influenced by the deaths of popular celebrities.

“Wiz Khalifa’s track ‘See You Again,’ dedicated to the late Paul Walker, has made it into the contemporary pop charts whilst the late David Bowie’s ‘Ashes To Ashes’ has also been requested by clients in the last 12 months,” said David Collingwood, co-op funeral chief.

Hymns are still among some of the go-to songs at funerals with “The Lord Is My Shepherd,” “Abide With Me” and “All Things Bright And Beautiful” still common picks. But the trend is skewing towards songs that meant something to the life of the person who died.

“Funerals are very much about personal choice and reflecting the personality, hobbies and interests of a person,” Collingwood said. “More so than ever we’re seeing people pre-plan their funeral music and, in the last 12 months, 42 per cent of our funeral directors and arrangers have received ready-made pre-planned funeral playlists.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3468813/frank-sinatra-my-way-news-songs-music-funeral-grieving-bereavement/

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/4/2016 at 5:54 AM, Mike said:

According to the Daily Mail, pop songs are way more popular than hymns when it comes to picking songs for funerals in 2016. After Frank Sinatra’s “My Way,” “Time To Say Goodbye” by Andrea Boccelli and Sarah Brightman was number two on the list. Rounding out the Top 3 was Eva Cassidy’s, “Somewhere Over The Rainbow.” The results were drawn from a survey of 300 British Co-op funeral directors and 2,000 adults.
And it isn’t just classics that are getting chosen as swansongs. Contemporary pop songs are also being played a lot at funerals as well. The list of sought after funeral songs also includes Robbie Williams, Westlife, Adele, and Rihanna songs. The survey also notes that song choices are also being influenced by the deaths of popular celebrities.

“Wiz Khalifa’s track ‘See You Again,’ dedicated to the late Paul Walker, has made it into the contemporary pop charts whilst the late David Bowie’s ‘Ashes To Ashes’ has also been requested by clients in the last 12 months,” said David Collingwood, co-op funeral chief.

Hymns are still among some of the go-to songs at funerals with “The Lord Is My Shepherd,” “Abide With Me” and “All Things Bright And Beautiful” still common picks. But the trend is skewing towards songs that meant something to the life of the person who died.

“Funerals are very much about personal choice and reflecting the personality, hobbies and interests of a person,” Collingwood said. “More so than ever we’re seeing people pre-plan their funeral music and, in the last 12 months, 42 per cent of our funeral directors and arrangers have received ready-made pre-planned funeral playlists.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3468813/frank-sinatra-my-way-news-songs-music-funeral-grieving-bereavement/

I felt that I really needed to post on this as my mum recently told me she wanted to have 'I did it my way " when she passed; it is a  beautiful song and it does really reflect well on mu mum as she can be known to be... shall we say " Quiet Stubborn " lol. 

We lost my dad quite suddenly in July 2018 after a four month battle with cancer 😪 We were and still are shattered, my dad chose to have Macho Man by the Village people as he was taken from the church, the whole place was laughing hysterically; that was my dad though; always wanted to make the best of a bad situation, and as it was my mum and his second marriage, it was a fairly casual occasion  and they had Macho Man as their wedding song lol, very romantic. LOL

I miss you  Daddy