Big Fish

Mike

Music Composed and Produced by Danny Elfman

What an impressive soundtrack!!

-Man Of The Hour Performed by Pearl Jam, -Dinah Performed by Bing Crosby, -Everyday Performed by Buddy Holly, -All Shook Up Performed by Elvis Presley, -Five O'Clock World Performed by The Vogues, -Ramblin' Man Performed by The Allman Brothers, -Let's Work Together Performed by Canned Heat... and more

The director-composer relationship between Tim Burton and Danny Elfman stands as one of the most significant in recent cinema history. Other films they have work on together are The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow and Planet of the Apes

Burton's film is the story of a son trying to come to terms with his dying father, Edward Bloom, who has spent his life locked in fantasy, seemingly isolated from his family in the real world. The bulk of the story is told through a series of fanciful episodes chronicling Bloom's life as he tells it, from his adventures with giants and werewolves to his connection to a dreamy paradise in the town of Spectre. Under the hands of a lesser director, the film could have easily fallen into cute and contrived sappiness, but Burton, with his natural gift for whimsy and his eye for the sadness that runs beneath fantasy's surface, turns the film into a rich and bittersweet masterpiece. Yet much of this gravity may have fallen to the wayside were it not for Elfman's immeasurable contribution, musically translating Burton's oft-ambiguous emotions here just as much as he did in Edward Scissorhands and Batman Returns. His music is playful and heartfelt but with a matured sense of melancholy that gives the film the weight it needs to keep from floating away as a giant sugar-puff.

*Nominated for an Oscar BIG FISH will be up against...

COLD MOUNTAIN

FINDING NEMO

HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

Mike

Sara and I saw this last night. We both really liked it. It's taken me a while to forgive Tim Burton for Batman And Robin (I saw it on my one trip to Mann's Chinese Theater), but the dark, lyrical style worked very well in Big Fish. The music was great, making a big difference in many important scenes. Danny Elfman knows his stuff.

Of course, I waited through the credits to see the music, and there was an excellent Pearl Jam song that played over them called "Man Of The Hour." Even if you're not a Pearl Jam fan, you might like this song. It's really beautiful and I think it was written for the movie.

• 4 months later...

This movie is a classic, not only is it told well, but the story itself is amazing, and the actors are superb. This movie makes you think and changes your overall attitude for months after you watch it. This is without a question one of the best movies ever made.