"Taurus" vs. "Stairway To Heaven"

Otokichi

"Taurus" by Spirit

vs.

"Stairway To Heaven" by Led Zeppelin

*I hear some similar notes in both compositions, but I'm not a musician. (Is that enough to scream "Plagiarism!"? Time and lawyers will tell. It's enough to puzzle "My Sweet Lord.";)

Edited by Otokichi
It's not like ELP's stumble over "Allegro barbaro," but it's more fun than Donald Trump's elephantine trumpeting.

Really surprised this hasn't been an issue in the past. It's a pretty clear appropriation involving one of the most famous songs of all time, but apparently the guy from Taurus wasn't concerned (I think it's his estate that is doing this). Once this thing goes to a jury, anything can happen - something the "Blurred Lines" guys found out.

I saw an article a couple of days ago, the day Page took the stand, and it appears as though they're going to rely on the sheet music, since that is what is legally filed.  They will be having an independent musician come in and play both versions for the jury.  Should be interesting...

You never know how these are gonna go. Fogerty won when he was accused of ripping himself off, but Michael Bolton got screwed on his song "Love is a Wonderful Thing." Isley Brothers had an obscure song with that title that sounded nothing like it but they won anyway. 

• 2 years later...