Everything I own

edna

I found a version of Bread´s hit (writen by David gates in 1972) Everything I own performed by boris gardiner and called "Elizabethean reggae", from 1970 and credited to some Binge. Anybody knows anything about it? How comes he made it two years before it was supposed to be written and why has it another name? Sounds like Boy George´s version...

This is confusing, but maybe it'll help.

First, the song was definitely written by David Gates in 1972

There is a well known reggae version of "Everything I Own", but its not by Boris Gardiner. Its by Ken Boothe, and it was very successful, becoming a number one hit in the UK in 1974.

Boris Gardiner was the bass player in The Upsetters, an extremely famous 70s Jamaican reggae band, but he had a pretty limited solo career as a singer.

Ronald Binge was a song writer and band leader specializing in easy listening 'muzak' and incidental tunes for movies. One of his better known pieces is called "Elizabethan Serenade"..

I would hazard a guess that maybe the Boris Gardiner track is either incorrectly titled or credited.

Oops looks like Denmark Street beat me to it. ::

I believe "Elizabethan Reggae" was a reggae version of "Elizabethan Serenade" (1951) a classical work by Ronald Binge though it was re-arranged and performed by Boris Gardiner around 1970.

Is the tune the same as "Everything I Own" or the lyrics??

The two might not be the same song.