George martin dies at 90

edna

Wow, what an accomplished life. 23 (!) #1 hits as a producer in the US. Here's the list:

"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"She Loves You"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"Love Me Do"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"I Feel Fine"
"Eight Days A Week"
"Ticket To Ride"
"Help!"
"Yesterday"
"We Can Work It Out"
"Paperback Writer"
"Penny Lane"
"All You Need Is Love"
"Hello Goodbye"
"Hey Jude"
"Get Back"
"Come Together"
"Let It Be"
"Sister Golden Hair"
"Ebony and Ivory"
"Say, Say, Say"
"Candle In The Wind '97"

Here's a treat...George Martin and Brian Wilson analyzing "God Only Knows" in the studio. You can't put two people who were more responsible for the sounds of the 60's and beyond in one room. Whatever a musical genius is to you...these are two of them to me:http://www.q1043.com/onair/ken-dashow-1362/a-george-martin-bonus-he-discusses-14475441/

That's only a list of the #1's that Carl shows in the prior post....imagine the 2's and 3's....

Edited by RonJonSurfer

Great find Ron. George Martin does a live remix of "God Only Knows," and Brian Wilson likes it better than the original. I like how Martin calls himself a "musical detective."

Courtesy of Kent at Forgotten Hits, some reactions to Martin's passing:

Ringo Starr:  "God Bless George Martin peace and love to Judy and his family.  Love Ringo and Barbara.  George will be missed.

Paul McCartney:  "I'm so sad to hear the news of the passing of dear George Martin.  I have so many wonderful memories of this great man that will be with me forever.  He was a true gentleman and like a second father to me.  He guided the career of The Beatles with such skill and good humour that he became a true friend to me and my family.  If anyone earned the title of the fifth Beatle, it was George.  From the day that he gave The Beatles our first recording contract, to the last time I saw him, he was the most generous, intelligent and musical person I've ever had the pleasure to know.  It's hard to choose favourite memories of my time with George, there are so many but one that comes to mind was the time I brought the song 'Yesterday' to a recording session and they guys in the band suggested that I sang it solo and accompany myself on guitar.  After I had done this George Martin said to me, 'Paul, I have an idea of putting a string quartet on the record.'  I said, 'Oh no, George, we are a rock and roll band and I don't think it's a good idea.'  With the gentle bedside manner of a great producer he said to me 'Let us try it and if it doesn't work we won't use it and we'll go with your solo version.'  I agreed to this and went round to his house the next day to work on the arrangement.  He took my chords that I showed him and spread the notes out across the piano, putting the cello in the low octave and the first violin in a high octave and gave me my first lesson in how strings were voiced for a quartet.  When we recorded the string quartet at Abbey Road, it was so thrilling to know his idea was so correct that I went round telling people about it for weeks.  His idea obviously worked because the song subsequently became one of the most recorded songs ever with versions by Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye and thousands more.  This is just one of the memories I have of George, who went on to help me with arrangements for 'Eleanor Rigby', 'Live And Let Die' and many other songs of mine.  I am proud to have known such a fine gentleman with such a keen sense of humour, who had the ability to poke fun at himself.  Even when he was Knighted by the Queen there was never the slightest trace of snobbery about him.  My family and I, to whom he was a dear friend, will miss him greatly and send our love to his wife Judy and their kids Giles and Lucy, and the grandkids.  The world has lost a truly great man who left an indelible mark on my soul and the history of British music.  God bless you, George, and all who sail in you."

John Lennon from a mid-'70s interview: "We did a lot of learning together... He taught us a lot and I'm sure we taught him a lot by our primitive musical ability."
His son, producer Giles Martin: "Rest in peace, Dad. I love you. I'm so proud to have been your son. I'll miss you more than words can say. Thank you for the all times we had together."

Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick: “The news of the passing of Sir George Martin is sad, however the mark he left on the music world is indisputable. I had the pleasure of sitting and working side by side with him during the creation of the most iconic music of The Beatles. He was a true gentleman, and we had the same sense of humor. He was like a father to me. I’m proud to have shared so many memorable years with him."

Olivia and Dhani Harrison (George Harrison's widow and son): "George Martin was a gentleman above all. May he rest in peace. He was so kind to Dhani and I, and of course our George thought the world of him. He will be terribly missed. Our thoughts are with Judy and all the family at this sad time."

Sean Ono Lennon:  R.I.P. George Martin. I'm so gutted I don't have many words. Thinking of Judy and Giles and family. Love Always, Sean

Mark Knopfler: "It’s going to be hard to imagine a world of music without George in it. He was a lovely man who gave so much of his talent and of himself. I am proud to have been his friend and grateful to have so many happy memories of him. My thoughts are with Lady Judy and Giles at this time."

Dave Davies: "He gave The Beatles their sound. Probably one of the most important engineer-producers of our age. His influence spans generations. A gifted creative and inspired force in popular music. We'll never see the likes again. God bless you George Martin."

Brian Wilson: "When I heard that Sir George Martin passed I felt a real sadness in my soul. The records that George produced with The Beatles were some of the greatest ever made and they inspired me to greater heights. We were young and anything was possible. George and I became friends later on, and when he said nice things about me, it made me very proud. He was a kind and gentle soul. I wish the best for George’s family and friends. Love and Mercy."

Jon Bon Jovi: "In an era where the words LEGEND and ICON are used far too frequently, there is now one less REAL LEGEND and ICON in the world. George Martin impacted music with contributions that will outlive us all. Sir George, WE Thank you."

Moby:  Just read the news about George Martin. The greatest producer of all time and the 5th Beatle. You will be missed, sir.

Peter Gabriel: "Really sad to lose George Martin, a brilliantly creative musical maestro who explored and expanded what music was and could be. He was one of the giants that turned the job of recording from a science into an art. The marriage of his experience, musicality and orchestral background, with the furnace of creativity that was The Beatles, produced startlingly new music that inspired a generation and was one of the things that made me want to become a musician."

Stevie Van Zandt: "George Martin changed the world. Nothing less. Took a chance on a band nobody wanted called The Beatles. Gold standard of arranger-producers."

Nils Lofgren: "Thanks for the musical magic that inspires my life and heals our planet. Rest in Peace."

Gerry Marsden: "He'd let you go and do your own thing and then he'd listen to it and say, 'Right, here's how we can change it', and he would change it slightly. The main thing was he let you go in the studio and do your own thing. He was great and he was a lovely man. He was very, very musical."

Graham Nash: "I think George was incredibly important. When you're a band and you have beautiful music like The Beatles had, you need someone to be able to get it out there to the world, and what George did brilliantly was open that door wide."       

Steve Hackett: "I'm sad to hear about the death of George Martin. I've always felt he was much more than just the fifth Beatle."

Cat Stevens: "Sad to hear George Martin passed away. Most influential music producer and a man of good character. Rest in peace."

Bryan Adams: "Goodbye George Martin. Thanks for producing the music that changed my world and everyone else's."

Former Cheap Trick drummer Bun E. Carlos (Martin produced their All Shook Up album): "I was in a recording studio in Milwaukee with some good people Tuesday afternoon when the talk turned to great producers. We talked about producers that made records 'special.' I commented I remember riding in my mom's car and hearing 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' for the first time. I'd never heard a sound like that before. It was a sound that changed my life. Thank you Sir George for that moment, and all the great musical moments that followed over the years, and some still to come."

Peter Asher: "He managed to be self-effacing and confident at the same time: unafraid to speak his mind yet unfailingly polite. I am confident that as we all share our memories of this legendary composer, arranger and record producer, the most frequently recurring phrase will actually be 'he was a gentleman.' I shall always treasure our long and close friendship. As a legacy, George leaves not only the best pop records ever made but memories of an utterly remarkable man, husband and father who will be desperately missed in so many ways."

Paul Rodgers: "The Beatles changed the world with their music and as their producer, Sir George Martin was a key part of that music. I am very grateful to him for the part he played. At 90, his was a life well lived."

Jon Anderson: "Such a great man. I met him twice, in the elevator at the BBC in London...two years apart. Such a kind heart."

Elton John: "So sad to hear about Sir George. It is the end of a wonderful era. I had the privilege to have known him as a friend and work with him as an artist. He was a delightful, brilliant man. We won't see his like again." Martin produced Elton's "Candle in the Wind 1997" in tribute to Princess Diana, which has sold 37-million copies.

Brian May: "So sad to hear of the passing of the great George Martin. But also...what a glorious innings! Always always positive, and deeply thoughtful and creative, the man was a gentle giant of popular music. My first knowledge of him is something that few will probably mention: He produced the Temperance Seven -- those wonderful '20s-style recordings of 'You’re Driving Me Crazy' and the blissful 'Pasadena' and many others. I adored that work and still do -- a great influence. And related one-off projects like Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren. George obviously had a real magic, even then. When he later became the ‘in house’ producer for The Beatles, history was made -- and a fabulous catalog of work. I didn’t know him well, but our few conversations were full of light. Massive respects and love. Bless you George! RIP."

Gene Simmons: "Sad day. Thank you, Sir George, for giving us some of the best music of the 20th century. RIP."

Paul Stanley: "RIP SIR GEORGE MARTIN. Some of the greatest music of all time wouldn't have been the same without you."

Mark Ronson:  "Thank you, Sir George Martin, the greatest British record producer of all time.  We will never stop living in the world you helped to create."