Glenn Frey Dead

RonJonSurfer

I was at work yesterday, and I had my iPod softly playing the Eagles playlist I had made when I drove my motorcycle to Winslow. It hit me a t a funny moment, and a tear kind of welled up. One of the girls that works in my office asked what was wrong and I mentioned the passing of Frey and she jokingly rebuked me saying it was the death of someone I didn't even know. There are people who go through this life not affected by music. Their lives aren't colored by it. That's not a shot or anything, just a statement of fact. It just hit me that... that's it. No more Eagles. And the tear because of that.  The amazing (and that is an overused word but in the following context, accurate) thing is that this music, 100 years from now, still going to be good music. Glenn gone, we're left with the likes of West, Bieber, Cyrus. 100 years from now I am not so sure their music will endure. We people that come to this website hold the musicians who have been the backdrop of our life close to us. I pull Seger closer to me and lose myself while I walk at night in the music of Bob, The Eagles, James Taylor, Carol King, JD Souther, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt, Jimmy.....

that's so true Ken.

the office has been very somber the last few days, most my colleagues are near my age or a bit older, the youngsters come through thinking we're morose about the seahawks, which we are not. It's just football and there's always next season. No, we are saddened yet twice in ten days with the passing of both Bowie and Frey. 

We are very much an office of music lovers here. We all appreciate how valuable the artists that gave us these great songs  are, how hard it is deal with them departimg earth. They have become like close friends or even like family. All these decades listening to the songs and the emotions they evoke in us all. 

Yes, I really started thinking about the fact that my rock and roll idols are all 10 (minimal) to 20 (or more) years older than me. We are going see many of them start to go and I hate the thought of it. They weren't some cold distant musicians...they meant so much more to me and SF'ers like you guys that wouldn't have ever come to Songfacts if you didn't have a special place for the music. 

Go see your favorite rock acts if they are still touring. You'll feel better about yourself...and them.

• 2 weeks later...

I became aware of Glenn Frey in the '80's, "The Heat is On", "You belong to The City", "Smuggler's Blues".  Songs of my teenage years.  In 1988, I went to Colombia to connect with my cousins over there and they took me to several parties and clubs.  "Hotel California" was played all the time and was revered.  Being unaware of the meaning of the lyrics, couples danced to it romantically and people who knew I was an American begged me to translate. 

Good music will always find an audience, no matter the era or country it's played in.