David Bowie

edna

Back in 1971 I became a Bowie freak. The kids in my city didn't understand what I was going on about, but they would find out as the years went by. For going on 45 years, I have been following David Bowie's musical journey. That's a  whole lot of my 57 years. Recently I was reorganizing my vinyl collection with my daughter (if you can believe that's a thing anymore) and she said to me, "Wow, you have a lot of David Bowie albums". I do. I have the albums, the bootllegs, the collector stuff...I even have something released as David Jones. I hate the death of my idols, but it can't be stopped. Here's a song Bowie did in concert in the early days:

My death waits like an old roue'
So confident, I'll go his way
Whistle to him and the passing time

My death waits like a Bible truth
At the funeral of my youth
Are we proud for that and the passing time?

My death waits like a witch at night
As surely as our love is right
Let's not think about the passing time

But whatever lies behind the door
There is nothing much to do
Angel or devil, I don't care
For in front of that door there is you

My death waits like a beggar blind
Who sees the world through an unlit mind
Throw him a dime for the passing time

My death waits there between your thighs
Your cool fingers will close my eyes
Let's think of that and the passing time

My death waits to allow my friends
A few good times before it ends
So let's think of that and the passing time

For whatever lies behind the door
For in front of that door there is you

My death waits there among the leaves
In magician's mysterious sleeves
Rabbits and dogs and the passing time

My death waits there among the flowers
Where the blackest shadows, blackest shadows cowers
Let's pick lilacs for the passing time

My death waits there in a double bed
Sails of oblivion and my head
So pull up your sheets against the passing time

But whatever lies behind the door
For in front of that door there is, Thank You

My first big impression of him came in 1977. While I had heard his songs, and really liked them, I hadn't "seen" him. 

Funny background. My maternal grandfather played gold with Bing Crosby and worked with him on a number of Catholic causes. My mother even was gifted a personalized signed 8x10 glossy from Bing (in fact it would have been quite valuable had my mothers name not been included on the photo - oh the irony) 

So you can imagine my parents an I sitting in the livingroom one Christmas in the mid seventies watching a singing star from their generation with one from mine sharing a most beautiful song together.

Peace and thanks to you for all the great songs David Robert Jones.

Edited by Mike

I happened to be listening to a Rick Wakeman performance on you tube about 2 days before Bowie's untimely death.  During the performance, Wakeman told a story about being invited to Bowie's house to listen to some songs Bowie had written for his soon to be released album Hunky Dory.  Wakeman said Bowie performed each song on his acoustic guitar and Wakeman still claims they are the best collection of songs he has ever heard in one sitting.  He ended up performing the piano parts for Life On Mars and a few other songs on the album.  He says Bowie was a gentleman and a treat to work with.

I was never a huge Bowie fan, but I do love some of his better known songs and I do have 2 of his albums.  He was undeniably a gifted songwriter, actor and performer and the music world has lost a true giant.  The band in Heaven just got a whole lot better.  R.I P.  David.