A Charlie Brown Christmas

RonJonSurfer

It was December 9, 1965 when the world was first given the gift called "A Charlie Brown Christmas". Fifty years??? What??? I was a mere 7 years old then and I recall sitting in my parents living room watching this special year in and year out. No VHS then, no DVD's, no downloads...no nuthin'!!! If you missed that one showing on WCBS-TV, you missed it until next year. 

I couldn't wait to introduce my kids to The Peanuts Gang doing their thing and I'm sure grandkids will enjoy it someday too.

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown.

Edited by RonJonSurfer

I remember the first year that I had to miss it (The Grinch would often follow it on CBC) due to a hockey practice and being really bummed about it since, as RJ said, there were no do-overs until the following year. I was 9 years old and I think that marked the date my childhood ended. 

I was in high school when this animated Christmas/Holiday classic aired on local TV. With a voice cast of minors, a Jazz soundtrack by Vince Guaraldi, and a Biblical focus on what had/has become a secular holiday, we search for a "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" and find a reason to smile when it's easy to be down. So raise a glass of Root Beer with Snoopy, even if the original sponsor was Coca-Cola!

Christmas Time Is Here

Edited by Otokichi
It's time to sing this children's Christmas song...

I got a little churlish about The Peanuts when the movie came out this year. The comic strip was pretty lame, but it always got the top spot in the funny papers, even after Charles Schulz died. To me, it represented the worst in anodyne mediocrity - something that was there just because it always was there.

But when I watched Great Pumpkin this year, I realized that this thing is a lot more charming than I thought. It was clever and funny and entertaining.

So, I look forward to A Charlie Brown Christmas, and won't be a Scrooge about it.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very subtle humor, and the kids speak and acted like small adults, but I love it.  My daughter has outgrown the TV specials, but she still wanted to see the Peanuts movie.  It is so true to the comic...sweet and subtle, with absolutely no pop culture references.