Movies you don't get...

Tenacious_Peaches

OH....MY....GOD! Peaches, you're such a big fan of Tenacious D, but you can't stand the Farelly Brothers. That would have to qualify you as having the most lopsided sense of humor ever. The Farrellys are the funniest dudes ever. "Kingpin", "There's Something About Mary", "Me, Myself and Irene", and "Dumb and Dumber", and even "Shallow Hal" were all instant classics. I take back all the compliments I've ever given you, and I refuse to speak to you ever again. So, stop calling my house, following me to work, and watching me in the shower. I thought we had something that was unbreakable, but this changes everything. I FEEL SO USED!!

And Tenacious D sucks!! Jack Black couldn't act if he had a stick stuck up the back of his shirt and strings attached to his arms. Kyle is the only real talent in that band. At least, he's funny. "Shallow Hal" was the only movie in which Jack Black was ever funny....and that's because the Farrellys wrote it.

I know what you mean about my lopsided sense of humor. I always say that I have the s.o.h. of a slow witted 18 year old frat boy. Theoretically, I should love the Farrelly brothers, but most of their movies seem to be a paper thin plot with a few well-placed ?shocking? sight gags.

And simmer down with the ?Tenacious D sucks? business...don?t take it out on them because you have issues with me. But in the spirit of fairness, you don?t have to like them if you don?t want to. I love them enough for everybody. That's the whole point of this thread...not everyone has the exact same opinion.

But sammy, don?t take your love away from me, baby! We can work through this, I promise.

in my sweetest singing voice

You are my sunshine

My only sunshine

You make me happy

When skies are gray

You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take my sunshine away

:afro: :afro: :afro:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oo..movies i dont get

1. Office Space...ok, its funny to do the voices, but i HATED the plot...storyline...whatever. BAD MOVIE!

2. Dirty Dancing

3. Freddy Got Fingered...just...no...

4. Clockwork Orange...good movie, im still a little confused on Kubricks work

5. All these new superhero movies are gettin old...sorry..the Hulk SUCKED!!!

The Matrix movies. On a superficial level they look nice, but all that babble in between the effects started to sound like one of the grown-ups in the Peanuts cartoons "wah, wah wahhhhh"

I also don't "get" those gross-out movies in the Farrelly brothers vein...or the Tom Green stuff. If I'm going to pay $8 for a movie, I don't want to laugh at fart jokes for 2 hours, I can just hang out with High School kids. I'm glad other people are admitting it here, I don't feel like an uncool old lady anymore.

I also don't get the point of the "spoof" movies...yeah there are some funny gags, but the writers always rely on sexual and toilet humor to carry the other 100 minutes of the movie. Disappointing...

First movie that came to mind was the Scary Movie trilogy, I found the comedy in these films to be very low brow & the plot was flat out annoying. Most of the jokes are recycled humor that wasn't funny the first time around. I did like SpaceBalls & most of Mel Brook's work, in general. They don't offer the same type of rapid stupidity as the newer age parody flicks. =:P

I have to say Vanilla Sky was pretty good. I mentioned halfway that the sky looked so CG...I pick up on these things :D

The Ring - yes I know there is more to it if you watch the Japanese versions, but I could hardly make it through the American one with my eyes open!! That was a truly terrifying movie...but I didn't get it. I mean I got what they wanted it to be, but it didn't all add up if you thought about what had happened. I get that by making copies of the tape and spreading them around they kept themselves alive while others would die, but I mean how did Samara become this evil being? Why her? There were way too many unanswered questions, but it was enough to be terrifying!!! :googly:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The movie I never got was Vanilla Sky. Weird and totally confusing!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole set-up was a dream made by L.E. because he bought their offer. You'd probably find Total Recall incomprehensible from the get-go.

Might as well clear up something of what I said earlier but I will first say I did get Total Recall. In Vanilla Sky I understand it was a dream but what I did not get was where did the dream start and where did it end. It confused me. My kids tried to explain it to me but I still did not get it. Oh well...shame on me for not being the brilliant one when it comes to this movie.

There are two types of "didn't get". One, the literal sense, when you don't understand the movie, and two, when you don't understand why everyone else loves the movie.

As far as number two, I'd have to say those 'Lord of the Rings' movies. I mean, they're ok, but not anything that should be grossing hundreds of millions.

Might as well clear up something of what I said earlier but I will first say I did get Total Recall. In Vanilla Sky I understand it was a dream but what I did not get was where did the dream start and where did it end. It confused me. My kids tried to explain it to me but I still did not get it. Oh well...shame on me for not being the brilliant one when it comes to this movie.

The dream made by L.E. began at the point where Tom Cruise wakes up from a drunken stupor and Penelope finds him on the street to tell him she loves him. L.E. erased the memory of what really happened from then on because when he woke up, he went back to his apartment, signed up for L.E., and committed suicide - L.E. took his body, cryogenically froze him, and implanted the new life into his still-active brain (this is the part where you're supposed to believe in cryogenics and that brain activity continues after you're dead). The dream didn't end. Supposedly, the jump from the building is a subconscious desire to wake up into real life 100 years later, but the film stops right there. He could just as easily land in another dream made by L.E. or reality.

As long as you don't realize you're dreaming, everything might as well be real :beatnik:

Roman Polanski's The Tenant was weird. I kinda liked it 'cause it was a mix of Repulsion, Psycho, and a bit of Rosemary's Baby suspense, but midway to the ending it got really bizarre. Speaking of bizarre, I've stopped trying to figure out Alejandro Jodorowsky's stuff. There's waaaaaay too much symbolism for me to handle :stars: I'm still up for watching El Topo again, though :beatnik: