Movies you don't get...

Tenacious_Peaches

Is there a movie that you just don't see what all the fuss is about? The "Donnie Darko" thread inspired this because apparently you either really like it or really like it. I remember when "American Beauty" came out. Everyone thought it was an "important movie that spoke about a generation of suburban frustration". I thought it was a steaming pile of rhinoceros excrement. I also don't see what the big hoo-ha is over the Farrelly brothers movies. "Kingpin" and "Dumb and Dumber" are the only 2 I can tolerate. It's difficult for me to say that, because I include "Shallow Hal" in with their crap movies. We all know how I feel about my man Jack Black, and I still hated that movie.

OK, class, you may now discuss...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A recent one that I thought was horrible was The Terminal with Tom Hanks. I couldn't make any sense out of this movie, he's basically just stranded at an airport during the entire film. Granted, there's a few nice scenes & touching moments during the duration of the film, it's not what it's cracked up to be. The previews & critics actually gave it the type of acclaim it didn't deserve.

Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Natural Born Killers.

Sorry folks,just don't get what all the fuss is about.

::

I am preparing myself for the onslaught that is to follow....oh Lordy...... ::

Oh, and Pootie Tang...what was that all about? I could only take about 5 minutes of that. Peaches, I hate to say it - but I loved Shallow Hal! Dumb and Dumber was funny the first time, but I wouldn't wanna watch it again...

I know I'm going to regret this. I hated There's Something About Mary.

There! I've said it!!

Everyone I know loved that movie. I found it to be (please excuse me) sophomoric drivel. The kind of humor my friends and I enjoyed when we were 14. Ok, I guess I should tell you that I feel the same about Howard Stern.

OMG...what am I thinking??

Go ahead...take your best shots.

Be gentle.

Is there a movie that you just don't see what all the fuss is about? The "Donnie Darko" thread inspired this because apparently you either really like it or really like it. I remember when "American Beauty" came out. Everyone thought it was an "important movie that spoke about a generation of suburban frustration". I thought it was a steaming pile of rhinoceros excrement. I also don't see what the big hoo-ha is over the Farrelly brothers movies. "Kingpin" and "Dumb and Dumber" are the only 2 I can tolerate. It's difficult for me to say that, because I include "Shallow Hal" in with their crap movies. We all know how I feel about my man Jack Black, and I still hated that movie.

OK, class, you may now discuss...

OH....MY....GOD! Peaches, you're such a big fan of Tenacious D, but you can't stand the Farelly Brothers. That would have to qualify you as having the most lopsided sense of humor ever. The Farrellys are the funniest dudes ever. "Kingpin", "There's Something About Mary", "Me, Myself and Irene", and "Dumb and Dumber", and even "Shallow Hal" were all instant classics. I take back all the compliments I've ever given you, and I refuse to speak to you ever again. So, stop calling my house, following me to work, and watching me in the shower. I thought we had something that was unbreakable, but this changes everything. I FEEL SO USED!!

And Tenacious D sucks!! Jack Black couldn't act if he had a stick stuck up the back of his shirt and strings attached to his arms. Kyle is the only real talent in that band. At least, he's funny. "Shallow Hal" was the only movie in which Jack Black was ever funny....and that's because the Farrellys wrote it.

I must leave for the day. Good night, eb'rybody.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady: :beady:

I agree with the lot that Ben Stiller isn't funny, he has so much potential to be funny & I often times root for him to be, but it just isn't happening. Even worse his movies become more unbearable each time around. Another so called comedian who has never made me laugh is Chevy Chase, this guy's supposed to be funny? In all of his movies or skits, it's usually another actor that has the best lines, such as Cousin Eddy (Randy Quaid) in the National Lampoon Family Vacation flicks.

Zoolander! I hated that and it's my best friends all time favourite movie....how could I break his fragile heart and tell him the truth?? :: It just was NOT funny. It had all the right names in the credits, but it wasn't even mildly amusing.

I admit, I did giggle through Meet the Parents. Could have been a moment thing though... ::

Add John Wayne's films to this. After watching Spaghetti Westerns, I couldn't stand to watch the good cowboy vs. bad cowboy stuff he made. He was just too square to be a cowboy - nowhere near as rugged, violent, and roguish as the ones I've gotten used to. He's a main staple of Americana, I'll give him that much. You see a poster of him and you immeadiately think of his Western movies... his image is cool, his movies are not.

There! I've said it!!

Everyone I know loved that movie. I found it to be (please excuse me) sophomoric drivel. The kind of humor my friends and I enjoyed when we were 14. Ok, I guess I should tell you that I feel the same about Howard Stern.

Be gentle.

Bravo!! Author! Author! Especially the part about Howard Stern. I wrote in 'Jump the Shark' and I quote, "As long as there are 14 year old boys, Howard Stern will have an audience.

I agree. That movie was just terrible! I laughed maybe once. I don't see all the hoo-hah over it. Because they made their sophomoric (and hilarious in dumb&dumbers case) humor and made it less funny, more shocking, and added a sappy love story, that was supposed to be a big step for them. STupid!

2001: A space Oddysey. Its just too confusing for me.

Braveheart: It was OK, but too much buildup

The Boondock saints: I would have liked this better had not every person I know told me it was the best movie they had ever seen.

There! I've said it!!

Be gentle.

AMEN Uncle! I stopped watching it a quarter of the way through. I've loved Ben Stiller since his little known TV show, but I just couldn't take this movie.

Is this about movies that are too clever for their own good, or about popular movies that you just dont like?

If the latter, then top of the pile for me is Titanic. What a waste of time and money that over-hyped piece of schmaltz was.

Also, any movie that sells itself on the strength of its computer generated images. There is no longer anything very 'special' about a 'special effect' produced by a machine, so stop trying to make out that we're all so impressed with it anymore. Chief culprit is the Matrix series, which was just pointless eye candy.

I guess you never saw The Blair Witch Project.

To this day I'll never get what all the whoohas was about. That movie made zero sense to me in that it was so obviously fake yet the overzealous acting made it a hit. If that made sense to you then what can I say? The worst piece of film I've ever seen.

I guess you never saw The Blair Witch Project.

To this day I'll never get what all the whoohas was about. That movie made zero sense to me in that it was so obviously fake yet the overzealous acting made it a hit. If that made sense to you then what can I say? The worst piece of film I've ever seen.

MT...you and I can write something in 30 minutes, hire a cameraman and get some idiot on TV to recommend our "wonderful little film" and become millionaires.

Damn, now everyone knows!

Uh, wanna start a band?

MT...you and I can write something in 30 minutes, hire a cameraman and get some idiot on TV to recommend our "wonderful little film" and become millionaires.

Damn, now everyone knows!

Uh, wanna start a band?

and why is that a silly idea?

Agreed, Blair Witch Project didn't deserve the level of praise that was heaped on it, but it wasn't a bad little film and I enjoyed it. I'd rather watch that than some expensive teen slasher movie with realistic blood!

Sure, It was cheap and amateurish...but that was the point. And it suceeded in being scary partly because of that.