Nickel Creek

Carl

The Songfacts Staff went to the Newport Folk Festival this weekend, and one band stood out. Nickel Creek had an early slot and played a great set. On our way out that night, we noticed a small crowd off to the side, so we wandered over to see what was going on. Nickel Creek had their instruments out and were playing for whoever wanted to listen. I thought it was nice of them to play a song before leaving for the night, but they kept playing. They played stuff they couldn't play because their set was too short at the festival. They played a Radiohead song. They played because there were people listening and they were having fun.

After about 45 minutes, the Newport police came and broke it up. Newport is a resort town in Rhode Island and there's not much crime, so I think the whole force was there to make sure the kids from Nickel Creek and the 40 people in the audience didn't get out of hand. It was refreshing to hear a great band playing for the love of the game. Imagine staying at your job an extra hour without pay because you love it that much, and you'll get an idea of why you should check out Nickel Creek.

Carl

Wow they have such a beautiful tone. I can't believe their videos aren't being played as often as others. I haven't seen one on television yet, and they have a couple. It is fresh to have a band play for the love of it, and not just for a paycheck. Thanks for sharing this band. Now I just hope to find them in stores. Shame sounds like this don't get listened to, or heard too often. :shades:

I just want to say, getting back to Kazaa, one of the first posts on these message boards, that I now have a very good example of why file sharing sites should not get shut down. When Carl recommended Nickel Creek, I decided I'd give them a listen. When I did, using kazaa, I liked them very much. This morning went to Tower Records and bought Nickel Creek (their first album [it's unbelievable]). Now did that hurt the recording companies and the record stores, or did it help them? Thanks again Carl.

• 3 months later...

yes, nickel creek is one of the best bands i have heard around these days. i just added many more facts to the "Artistfacts" for Nickel Creek and may add more over the next month. I can also add plenty of Songfacts as well. So yeah, i will be your Nickel Creek info source, any Nickel Creek questions and i can more than likely answer them.

and yeah, like Carl said, there is nothing like seeing them live. their stage show is amazing.

-The Artful Dodger

• 3 months later...

I was maybe ten seconds into Smoothie Song and said to myself, "I like!" I was sad that it was such a short instrumental - .29 seconds. I'm gonna listen to the rest of the tracks because if Smoothie Song is an indicator of how good they are then I'm sold!

Thanks for bringing them to my attention.