Rock Photography

Carl

Greg pitched me on an interview with Danny Clinch, who had made a name as one of the top rock photographers, with famous photos of Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Willie Nelson and many others (here's a gallery).

I must think on a very granular level, because I thought it would be interesting to pick some specific photos and have him break them down. The ones Greg picked out are with Tom Waits and Eddie Vedder, and Danny told some great stories behind them.

Just as we all hear music differently and have specific tastes in musicians, we also see photographs differently, and different styles appeal our eyes. Danny explained that a lot of his success can be attributed to trust and access, so while there is an art to taking the photo, most of it has to do with being allowed near a photographic moment where your camera is welcome. This explains why there is such a narrow swath of acclaimed rock photographers.

So, what are you thoughts on rock photography? Wondering if there are specific styles and photographers that have particular appeal to you.

One of Danny's main subjects was Shannon Hoon of Blind Melon. He let us use this one here.

12772-P4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...