Keith Richards Reveals Plans for New Solo Album

Brad_M

2015 is shaping up to be an eventful year for The Rolling Stones. Not only is the band embarking on a new North American tour next month, guitarist Keith Richards says he may be releasing a new solo album before the end of the year.

The 71-year-old rock legend tells Rolling Stone that the project is done and he’s now trying to decide exactly when he’s going to release it.

“The Stones have been working so much lately that I’ve been holding off until we could find a reasonable time,” he explains. “I think it’s September, but I don’t know for sure.”

Richards says he co-produced the album with drummer Steve Jordan, who also worked with Keith on his first two solo efforts — 1988’s Talk Is Cheap and 1992’s Main Offender. A couple of other longtime collaborators, guitarist Waddy Wachtel and Stones backing vocalist Bernard Fowler, also contributed to the new album.

Richards tells Rolling Stone that there’s a good chance he’ll support the album with some solo tour dates, while noting that he’s more focused on the Stones tour at the moment.

“Usually if I put a record out, I do some road work,” he points out. “So, it’s possible.”

Meanwhile, Richards reveals that The Rolling Stones have been “talking about doing some recording after this tour,” although they have no concrete plans yet.

“We just threw out the idea,” Keith notes, adding, “I’d like to get the boys back in the studio again, yeah. Anything can happen.”

Richards also tells Rolling Stone that, despite his advancing age, he doesn’t think about retirement. In fact, he says he’s still interested what The Stones can accomplish during the band’s remaining years.

“I’d like to see just how far they can evolve,” he maintains. “I have no demands or particular visions for them, but you’re just part of this thing and I want to see how far it will go.”

The Rolling Stones’ ZIP Code Tour of North America gets under way on May 24 in San Diego.