Fantasy Baseball 2015

CanAm

Hello, everyone. Is anyone interested in playing fantasy baseball this year? I'm willing to set up the league if there is enough interest. I'm checking into the rules on the espn leagues. I've found that the leagues seem to be a bit more user friendly than the yahoo leagues. But if everyone prefers the familiar, I can certainly renew our Yahoo league from last year.

What format does everyone prefer? Or do we want to do two leagues like last year? I'm game for both points and head-to-head leagues, but I know some of you like to stick just to one league.

I hope we can get enough people together to make this work. We need to try to dethrone the reigning king of fantasy sports, Mr. Phil. He cleaned our collective clocks last year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good man! Phil is our resident expert, so he can fill you in on the finer points of the game. However, too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing. The only thing you need to bevwary of is the injury history of certain players like Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez and Matt Kemp, among others. These players are high risk/ high reward options. Otherwise, it's a crapshoot.

W-C

I never watch baseball. I know very little about the players & I did pretty well my first time around. It is a commitment though as games are played every day & not once a week like football. Good fun though & watching games isn't necessary. Although if you do watch some here & there I'll guess it makes for a better viewing experience knowing there's someone on the field you're rooting for and/or a player you're hoping will trip over his shoelace. :laughing:

You'll just aim at peoples heads Laurie! :couch:

I think it's safer if a hockey player took the mound. :wink:

My best pitches: splitter, slider, 3-finger fastball (supposed to be 4-finger, but I didn't pay attention to the coach & throw it funny). Works about the same anyway.

I know how to throw a knuckle-ball & a cutter as well, but not quite as consistent as I'd like.

Batting average: .000

You can see why I was told to pitch! :tongue:

Laurie would be a danger to our lives on the mound. Probably only throws softball anyway. Girlie sport... :grin:

*btw: if you need another player to create the league then I'll join up. I'll try to keep on top of it, but I may be busy parts of the summer & I don't have a mobile with web.

I'm lo-tech :beatnik:

Edited by Guest
Added something...

Speak for yourself, Ray. I'll have you know I was a completely mediocre baseball player in my youth. I was a very good fielder, in the outfield only, however, my batting was another story. I think I actually hit the ball out of the infield once in a complete season. I did however throw (unintentionally) the bat into the stands on multiple occasions. I guess I should have used more stickum on my hands. I nearly decapitated the first baseman once. I also had a bad habit of leaning into the baseball at the plate. It was an effective, if somewhat painful way of getting on base. It's a good thing 10 year old pitchers don't throw the ball with much velocity. :stars:

Since we are sharing baseball stories....We had a softball game with our staff against all the "higher ups" for the company I work for. I was playing waaaaay back in the outfield when I accidently caught the ball right by the fence. I was just actually blocking the sun with my glove and happened to catch it. Sure it was a great catch and wondering why everyone was cheering so much. Come to find out that ball was hit by the CEO of the company which I had no idea at the time...I was too far away to see who was up to bat...And yeah, I didn't get fired..I still was able to keep my job... :laughing:

I've PT'd several people to see if we can drum up enough interest to run one or two leagues this year. Since the season starts in 3 weeks, why don't we wait until the 22nd of March to see if enough people want to play. If we can't get at least 8 people to play, perhaps we'll have to give it s miss this year.

So far, Phil, Sammy, Wyld Card and I are definite, and Ray has said he'll play if we end up with an odd number of players. I'm not sure if Laurie is interested, but she is certainly welcome to participate. The more the merrier.

I've contacted Kevin, Ron, Carl and Carole and expect to hear from them soon. If anyone still has contact with Ben (Rocky Raccoon) perhaps you could invite him to play as well.

Once, or if, we reach 8 players I'll create the league and send everyone the link.

It's just a game of chance. As far as setting line-ups anyone can help with that. Big names don't always have great seasons. New faces can have fantastic rookie seasons. Injuries can plague your team hurting your stats. Total crap-shoot :smirk:

You are so right, Ray. The big name players often crap out and injuries can have a devastating effect on your lineup. I always like to have a strong stable of starting pitchers, because they are the most likely to miss significant time because of injuries. As Ray has said, sometimes relative unknowns (think Corey Kluber and Anthony Rendon last year) have great seasons and sure thing players like Bryce Harper do very little for your team. Be wary of players with a history of being brittle, like Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez, Matt Kemp, Ryan Braun and the aforementioned Mr. Harper.

So far, we have Phil, me, Sammy, Laurie, Carl, and Wyld Card as definites, Ray as a possible and Kevin a definite, we'll see.

I'm still waiting to hear from Ron and Carole. If necessary, I can play more than one team. In order to prevent fantasy fatigue, I'll set up a points league if we have an odd number of players and a head-to-head league if we have an even number of players.

I can't wait to see what Sammy's team name is going to be this year.

Hello, all. I've set up a head-to-head points league on Yahoo. The league name is Songfacts and the id number is 137279. Here is the link:

https://yho.com/mlb?l=137279&k=cbaa3b02ed2a408c&ikey=15b62596bc8f624d&rf=yh.sms.pvtpc

My team is Coyote Utley. If there are an odd number of teams, I'll register a second team.

The league draft is scheduled for Tuesday March 24 at 7pm PDT. If you are unable to participate in the live draft, I suggest you edit your pre draft rankings once you have registered your team. Good luck to all (except Phil). Just kidding Phil. :D