Leonard Nimoy passes away at 83

cyberjudge

Leonard Nimoy, the much-beloved "Star Trek" star, passed away on Friday at his Bel Air residence in Los Angeles. He was 83.

Nimoy's wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed the news to the New York Times and said his death was caused by the final stages of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Nimoy was hospitalized earlier this week at the UCLA Medical Center after suffering from chest pain. Last year the veteran actor revealed he had pulmonary disease (COPD), which he blamed on years of smoking -- a habit he had given up 30 years prior.

Nimoy, who was best known for his role as Mr. Spock on "Star Trek" held down a variety of roles in his over 50-year career and earned four Emmy Award nominations for his outstanding contributions to film and television.

Live long and prosper, Leonard Nimoy.

I am so sad. The man who portrayed my favourite Star Trek character has passed away. I met him at one Comic-con and one Star Trek convention. He was a thoughtful, articulate and gentle man. Not only did he create an iconic television and movie character, but he was a very talented director too.

Rest in peace, Mr. Spock. :(:(