Somewhere over the rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo Ole

Earth-Angel

I was just wondering if anyone knows who sings the version of "Somewhere over the rainbow" in the new AXE deoderant ad. It's the one with the guy and the girl collecting their clothes as they backtrack to the supermarket aisle where they met the night before. It's a really nice mellow version, male vocals and a lone guitar strumming away in the background. I wonder if it was made for the ad? :guitar:

The artist that performs that song is the late Israel Kamakawiwo Ole' . I think... If the song has a beautiful ukelele melody, it's the one. The full version drifts into a beautiful rendition of "What A Wonderful World"

Hope this helps,

Ken.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Earth Angel,

That is IZ and no the song was not made for this commercial. In fact it has been used for several commercials including Ivory (soap) several years back and Toys 'r Us online just this past Christmas. It has also been featured in a car commercial, though I can't remember which one and as the closing tune for an ER episode. Hope that helps. Oh, just a side note, Iz passed away before the song was used for most if not all of these promos.

Earth Angel,

That is IZ and no the song was not made for this commercial. In fact it has been used for several commercials including Ivory (soap) several years back and Toys 'r Us online just this past Christmas. It has also been featured in a car commercial, though I can't remember which one and as the closing tune for an ER episode. Hope that helps. Oh, just a side note, Iz passed away before the song was used for most if not all of these promos.

I'm a little confused as to why you posted this for me, as I am aware of all of these facts already, but thanks for the info :D

• 4 weeks later...

I recall that IZ's "Life is Grand, live it up!" medley first popped up over the closing credits of 1998's "Meet Joe Black" (An updated version of "Death Takes a Holiday"?) Since then, it's been associated with the Honorable Death, especially after "ER" on TV and the movie, "Finding Forrester." Fortunately, it's popped up in commercials that are indeed full of Life. Here's to the 1993 Big Boy Records release of "Facing Future," long may it be associated with Life in all it's complexities. :coolio: