Quickest survey ever: Writing

Rayzor

As many of you know I've been writing a book of poetry. With the completion of it looming I've been shopping it around. It's gotten fair reviews from publishers who, in the end, decide to pass. I've got one more publisher to visit, however they deal mainly with biographies and have never publicised a book of poetry.

I've begun a book of short stories that would probably go in the direction the first two publishers would like, so all is not lost in my quest to achieve my dream of a publicised book.

The survey? I guess it's this simple:

1. Should I abandon writing poetry?

2. Should I continue writing poems to share with family & friends as I have in the past?

3. Should I even bother with the short stories?

Yep... that simple.

(if this belongs somewhere else, feel free to move it, oh so powerful and god-like mods) ;)

I don't think you should abandon poetry. Even if you just write it for yourself. Art is expression, so if it is your passion, go for it.

I haven't kept up with the writing industry, but it might be easier to submit short stories to magazines first. I only know The New Yorker, but I'm sure there are many others that publish short stories. Once you get one or two published there, it might be easier to shop a short story book.

Also, if you do have trouble writing long narratives, short stories may be better for you.

I'm a very commercial minded guy, so my answer probably dismisses the artistry more than others.

If you are doing this to make money, spend more time on short stories...even with a possible aim at business writing, self-help or how to.

If you just fancy yourself a published poet (or author in general), stick with poetry. Chances for financial gain are slim, but personal satisfaction is through the roof.

When all is said and done I love everything about a writing career and admire those who try it.

Ron

I write for the love of the written word, not money or fame. When I was young I wanted to write an epic & have it published, probably thinking of money though, I was only about 10 after all. Now it's more about doing what I love & sharing it with others. As I continued the search for my epic dream I began writing short stories, then lyrics for the bands I joined and finally poetry. The odd short story pops up, however the book evades me. In the meantime I just keep writing for the love of it. Better than sex! :grin:

My, my... I do ramble on :o

Yeah, publisher may be ok. But they make books so damned expensive which is the opposite of what I intended.

Another thought crossed my mind later in the afternoon: perhaps I could print out my poetry then make tons of 2-sided copies. That way I could skip the editorial process & would only need a book binder. Cheap & easy and no companies to deal with who only do things for money. I would just charge binding fees and S&H for people outside my province.

Good solution? Still affordable & it's basically what I wanted in the first place. Paper quality would suffer, but I can live with that :smirk:

For poetry I like skipping the editorial process. You know better than anybody what you want your poems to look, feel and smell like (OK, I don't mean smell in a bad way). Do your own guerrilla marketing and get it out to the people.

Guerrilla Type Ideas:

1. Make 100 copies of one poem. drive around town or the immediate area (or farther) and post the poems in unique spots. Have a contact e-mail for people that want more poems.

2. Get a free blog site and start a poetry blog. Post one new poem every week (day, month, whatever) at the same time.

3. Do a free poetry reading at the local pub, library, college, etc

You get the idea. These are cheap ways to get out in front of the world with your stuff.

Hey... that first one sounds great! I hate speaking in front of crowds (be it large or small) as I have Social Anxiety Disorder. I'm not computerly-gifted enough to make a blog.

I'm not allowed to drive, but Winnipeg's transit system supercedes any other in North America!

I could head to every hospital, shopping mall, both colleges and our university... our city has only 650 000 residents so that should cover plenty. For the suburbs, I could plant some in our most popular coffee shop in each area!

Thanks for that idea RJ!! :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

As for the blog I could use FB instead... create a group & invite people who could suggest others interested in different art forms to join. Help others who want to share their work with a small community. ;)

Edited by Guest

Yep...now your seeing it from a little different perspective...I'd love to hear how things go with it. Let me know.

I'm the opposite with crowds...I've spoken in front of thousands of people and love doing it...obviously I'm a salesman, but the big crowd thing is more of me being attracted to being the center of attention.

Good luck my friend, have fun with it.

Ron

Thanks RJ & Jenny!!

I've started my little FB group & in its first few days I've gotten kudos for the nice idea. :wink:

I printed out 20 copies of 2 poems & spread them around different waiting rooms in the hospital a few blocks from my house with receptionists permission. After reading my little piece of paper they all said it was a great idea. Some even made a copy of the opposite side & taped them on the wall side-by-side.

Thanks for getting my head straight & cool ideas :grin: :bow: