Paul Revere of Raiders rock band dies at 76

cyberjudge

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Paul Revere, the organist and leader of the Raiders rock band, has died. He was 76.

Manager Roger Hart says Revere died Saturday at his home in Idaho. No other details were provided.

Revere, born Paul Revere Dick, became known as "the madman of rock and roll" for his theatrical colonial wardrobe and infectious stage persona with the band.

The group launched its career in 1963 with a popular rendition of Richard Berry's "Louie, Louie" before releasing its own hits like "Kicks," ''Hungry" and "Good Thing." The band's biggest hit arrived in 1971 with "Indian Reservation."

Revere and the Raiders served as the house band for the Dick Clark TV show "Where the Action Is."

Revere remained a constant presence with the group for almost five decades.

I had not heard this and it is very sad to me. I've been listening to rock and roll very seriously since I was very young. I got hooked and wanted to everything and everybody in the rock world. Now it hurts as rockers pass away slowly but surely.

It's hard to feel bad about about someone who lived a full life and dies at 76...still it feels like one more bit of my youth leaving me.