A Day in the Life

Jugband_Blues

• 2 months later...

I did, but it didn't really say what the song was about, it just talked about it being a reprise of the first one, and about the concept of the album. And the comments were people just saying how much they love it. I would like to know the meaning of the song, because I listened to the lyrics for the first time, and I really like them.

"The beginning was based on 2 stories John Lennon read in the paper: Guinness heir Tara Browne dying when he smashed his lotus into a parked van, and an article in the UK Daily Express in early 1967 which told of how the Blackburn Roads Surveyor had counted 4000 holes in the roads of Blackburn and commented that the volume of material needed to fill them in was enough to fill the Albert Hall." (thanks, Ed - Perth, Australia)

what exactly

Well RW90125,

I'd love to turn_ you_ on but

"exactly" is pretty hard to get to anytime, especially with something as metaphysical as song lyrics

and you know words sometimes have two meanings

I mean like, "what exactly" is Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon about?

it's also supposed to be

"supposed" by whom?, SpencaMyMan

Can your sources lay some cards on the table?

Different interpretations are always interesting to test.

Spenca, "A day in the life" is a song you can find info about mostly everywhere. If Songfacts is not enough, try the web page of the Beatles, or any of the offers of Google, Netscape, etc. At the end of the song you can hear some noise and voices in a strange mix...studio stuff, psychedelia, tips of tape mixed any way, etc... that´s also explained in the video "The making of Sgt. Peppers", where George Martin and Paul McCartney talk a lot about it. You could get a copy, maybe through Amazon... I didn´t hear the remastered version made by McCartney and others, but if you talk about the original LP, you can find zillions of information in the web. Good luck!

"supposed" by whom?, SpencaMyMan

Can your sources lay some cards on the table?

Different interpretations are always interesting to test.

Sorry Spenca.

If it is "incomprehensible" we're not going to "figure it out".

having a bad day bazooka? and i do have some sources on the controversy here. im sure there are thousands of others on the web as well. and thanks enda for your help, instead of just telling me i was stupid for asking. appreciate it ::.

Spenca,

I've had my Diddley and I feel fine.

I visited your source: "Paul is Dead ... Not!" at amuseyourself.com

If you read down, there's a part where they debunk all of the "evidence" cited by the Paul-is-Deadheads.

It's House of Lords, not House of Paul. Sadly, however, the accident described in the song was very real: The song is about the death of Tara Browne, heir to the Guinness beer fortune, who was killed in a wreck December 18, 1966, at the age of 21. (Ironically, Browne, flying low through South Kensington at 110mph, crashed while swerving to avoid a Volkswagen in his path... which makes one wonder if the Vee-Dub on the cover of Abbey Road doesn't have some significance after all.)

Anyway, can anyone really think Paul died, and the other Beatles left clues about it, and the McCartney we see walking around today is a perfect imposter?

Edit: MyMan, I've realized that often people don't know when I'm kidding around. I usually joke with a straight face, and don't telegraph that I'm not being completely serious.

I really don't care for graemlins at all. But I guess these would apply > :o :googly:

Paul is dead? Naaahhh, that´s impossible, he´s one of the richest man in the world! As a long time Beatles fan I wonder where did you hear such a strange rumour? How did it happen? When? Aren´t you mistaking with Arafat? Oh, what a bad new for Linda... tss... :doh:

What is the incomprehensible chatter at the end of "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles? :stars:i cant figure it out.

Cool, I know this one. At the end of Sgt. Peppers on the original album in the run-out grove they placed the phrase, "never do see any other way" along with some laughing so it would keep repeating on a turntable that would not pick up the tone arm. They recreated this effect for the CD version of the song and it repeats several times. If you were playing the original album with a turntable that would not pick up the tone arm when it reached the run-out grove you would hear the phrase over and over again and even in the sixties a stoner would get up off the couch to make it stop.