Rate A Film, Name An Actor

andy7

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Deer Hunter (1978), 3/10

The most overrated film I have ever seen! I feel like my rating is too generous. I had high hopes for it because it has always been heralded as a classic. The pacing is terrible. The film is far too long. The first hour consists of a boring wedding reception, then a few guys hunt some deer, then are in Vietnam for 5 minutes, etc. There are so many improbable things in this movie, Michael (De Niro) getting a commercial flight to Saigon for example. I had to push myself to watch it to the end.

I remember nothing of Cazale's part.

---

Daniel Craig

Skyfall (2012) 8.5/10

This movie is reminiscent of the best Bond films of the 1960's. Great pacing, wonderful stunts and solid acting, even if Javier Bardem's portrayal of the villain was a little over the top. This movie was so much better than the abomination that was Quantum Of Solace.

Daniel Craig is the best Bond since the great Sean Connery, whose portrayal will never be equalled.

Peter Sellers

You're right, Quantum Of Solace was a big disappointment. My personal favourite bond film is GoldenEye.

---

A Shot in the Dark (1964), 8/10

Peter Sellers is excellent as Inspector Jacques Clouseau in this murder-mystery/comedy. It is 50 years old now and it has certainly held up well, it is a barrel of laughs!

---

Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L Jackson Deep Blue Sea (1999) 4/10

Another in a long line of cheesy shark movies. Predictable plot, mediocre acting and dreadful special effects. Jackson's best moment in this film comes when he is devoured by a genetically engineered shark. Not his finest performance. He was much better in Pulp Fiction, The Negotiator or virtually any of his other films.

Katherine Hepburn

I should be ashamed, I haven't seen any Katharine Hepburn films! :(

One of her most iconic roles is in 'The Philadelphia Story' (1940), in which she stars alongside Cary Grant & Jimmy Stewart. What an epic line up!

---

Oh, you poor boy. Along with Philadelphia Story, might I suggest The African Queen, The Lion In Winter, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and Bringing Up Baby just to name a few. She was truly one of the most amazing actors I've ever seen.

Edited by Guest

A very overrated film. It gets rated so highly because of its special effects, but the storyline is such a letdown. Apparently, there's another 3 Avatar films in pre-production at the moment.

However, Zoe Saldana is very convincing in her role as Neytiri, Jake Sully's (Sam Worthington) love interest, as he is sent to Pandora on a mining mission which is the home of the avatars. Yawn.

---

Mark Wahlberg

Lone Survivor (2014) 8.5/10

Based on a true story by Marcus Luttrell. The movie depicts the disastrous mission by 4 Navy Seals to assasinate a senior Taliban leader in Afghanistan. Plagued by faulty intel, the four Seals end up fighting for their lives against a large contingent of Taliban fighters. Luttrell, with the aid of some Afghan villagers, is the only one to survive the debacle.

An excellent film and Wahlberg is outstanding as Marcus Luttrell. The stunts and action are riveting and the supporting cast is also very good.

Donald Sutherland

I loved that film too CanAm! :)

---

The Green Mile (1999), 10/10

A modern cinematic classic. Tom Hanks stars in the lead role as one of a group of guards on Death Row, where a black man has been accused of child murder and rape, yet seems to possess a mysterious gift.

Harry Dean Stanton plays a small, but excellent part. He plays 'Toot-Toot', a inmate who the guards would use for the dry run to the electric chair. Some of the best comic relief you'll ever see that takes nothing away from the sombre tone of the film.

---

Jessica Alba

Fantastic Four (2005) 6/10

A moderately entertaining movie about the origins of the Fantastic Four and their arch nemesis Doctor Doom. Jessica Alba plays Sue Storm the Invisible Girl. She does a passable job because it's a role that doesn't tax her rather limited acting abilities. She does look great, though, in her spandex suit. :googly: :googly:

Alan Alda

The Monuments Men - 2014 7.5/10

A film based on the exploits of a group of Allied soldiers who were charged with locating art treasures looted by the Nazis. Racing against time as the war draws to a close, the Monuments Men must keep the Nazis from destroying the art work and also keep it out of the hands of the Russians who are advancing on Germany from the east.

Matt Damon plays James Granger, one of the art experts recruited by George Clooney's character to help find the pilfered art treasures. He travels to Paris undercover to seek the help of a Parisian curator who knows where much of the stolen artwork is located. He is quite good in the role as are the other actors who comprise The Monuments Men.

Eric Bana

Lone Survivor (2013), 9/10

Eric Bana plays Lieutenant Commander Erik S. Kristensen in an amazing war film based on a true story about 4 soldiers trapped behind enemy lines and fighting for their lives. The cast is led by Mark Wahlberg. Everyone plays their parts well. I highly recommend this film to any fan of war films.

---

Christian Bale

The Prestige (2006) 8/10

The movie deals with the competition between two rival stage magicians in London at the end of the 19th century.

Christian Bale plays Alfred Borden and Hugh Jackman portrays Robert Angier. After Angier's wife accidentally drowns during a botched water escape performance for which Angier blames Borden, the two become bitter rivals. Obsessed with creating the best stage illusion, they engage in a vicious game of one-upmanship with tragic consequences.

Although the plot is somewhat convoluted, the acting is top-notch and there are enough plot twists to keep the viewer entertained throughout.

Clint Eastwood

Gran Torino 9/10

Clint Eastwood plays a widowed, racist Korean war veteran named Walt who doesn't like seeing all the Hmong people moving into his neighborhood.

A neighbor kid tries to steal his car to get a local gang off his back, and now Walt is intertwined with this boy and his family and their struggle to keep him out of a gang. A must see

• 1 month later...

The Heat (2013) 7.5/10

Bullock plays an ambitious, by-the-book FBI investigator who alienates her co-workers with her condescending and aloof manner. She is sent to Boston to uncover the identity of a shadowy drug lord and put an end to his criminal activities. She is promised a significant promotion if she succeeds.

Once in Boston, Bullock reluctantly teams up with a foul-mouthed, bad-tempered police detective played my Melissa McCarthy. While good at her job, McCarthy does not play by the rules and she and Bullock initially butt heads over the way to conduct the investigation. As the case progresses, however, each one learns to respect the other's unique abilities.

The chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy is excellent and there are some genuinely hilarious moments in the movie. All in all, a very funny movie.

Michael Caine

Bonnie And Clyde 1967 8/10

Dunaway plays Bonnie Parker, one half of the notorious bank robbing duo of Bonnie and Clyde. During the Depression, the pair and their gang commit a series of daring bank robberies that become ever more violent. Soon, every law enforcement agency in America is actively pursuing the gang. The duo's crime spree comes to an abrupt end in a hail of bullets when they are ambushed on a country road by the police.

The death scene is still one of the most violent ever depicted on the big screen.

The actors, including Dunaway, are excellent and the story moves along at a brisk clip.

Maggie Smith